We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most picturesque villages

malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
most picturesque villages

Hi, we are staying the night at Fochabers and am looking where to visit while we're in the area and on our way to our next stop in Crieff.

I definitely want to visit the Glenlivet Distillery. Elgin looks nice too and the small villages I'm considering are Crovie, Fordyce, Pennan and Macduff. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most picturesque villages

I have family who live in Forres which is an attractive town itself, but when we are there we often visit the coastal village of Findhorn. Lovely beach walks and a couple of pubs serving good pub meals. What more could you want?!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most picturesque villages

I would second Findhorn and The Kimberley Inn for a meal. Forres has beautiful parkland and flower displays and Macduff is also nice with a lovely wee aquarium which is very interesting. Aberlour is a pretty village if its on your route and of course the beautiful planned town of Grantown on Spey is also worth a look (!) - the museum and displays are extremely interesting and the surrounding woods are a delight for a walk down by the river (Spey)

W x

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: most picturesque villages

Luss (on Loch Lomond) is widely recognised as one of the most picturesque villages in Scotland.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 21:10
malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: most picturesque villages

Thanks for your replies. Took note of Findhorn, Aberlour and Grantown on Spey. Thanks again.

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: most picturesque villages

Go to duff house in banff,nice museum with a cafe to have something to eat afterwards,next to duff house is wrack wood walk,very pleasant as it follows the deveron river,Macduff also has a beautiful scenic golf coarse if that way inclined.

Cullen link has a beautiful beach walk and has the best ice cream shop in Scotland,the icecream shop at Fochabers is amazing too.

The aquarium in Macduff is okay if it's raining for kids but I think it's a little expensive.

Also Macduff is officially the sunniest place in Scotland!!!!,

I hope you enjoy your travels, and get to see beautiful Banffshire,,a county that is from the mountains to the sea with lots of stunning scenery In between.

Edited: 27 July 2012, 12:21
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: most picturesque villages

Cullen is the traditional home of Cullen Skink, a fishy delight.

Between Nairn and Findhorn you have the Culbin Sands, a large wilderness full of dunes and forestry, the home of an RSPB bird reserve and villages sunk in the sand 400 years ago.

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: most picturesque villages

Cullen skink....uummm very yummy,yes if you go to Cullen you must try the delight of skink,once had,never forgotten

Also if you like walking, the sand dunes at Lossiemouth are a most,the surfing their is great too.

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: most picturesque villages

The Scotish villages are nice enough but the eal thing about Scotland is the natural features - hills, glens, lochs and sealochs

if possible try to get further west and ontothe west coast and islands

visit some or all of

Torridon Shieldaig Applecross Plocton Oban Tobermory Iona Barra Ullapool

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: most picturesque villages

Yes west coast and islands are nice but the Mosquitos and rain do tend to spoil it,

Edited: 28 July 2012, 09:35
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: most picturesque villages

"mosquitos"?? Hmm. Things have changed since I was there....