We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle wedding

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Castle wedding

My daughter and fiance want a castle wedding in Scotland. Any suggestions for a small wedding?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle wedding

"Small" and "Castle" don't usually go together.

Ceremony / reception only, or both? Approx numbers?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle wedding

Friends of ours had a stunning wedding at Castle Campbell. historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/hire/w… It is not like some of the "castle" hotels dating from the 1800's but a true ruined castle from the 15th Century- so very rustic and romantic

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle wedding

True, they don't typically go together, but I believe there are a few that do smaller, intimate weddings. Both wedding and reception. Around 20 people.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle wedding

There are indeed quite a few - it's a good way to defray the costs of maintaining a small castle. Dalhousie Castle just outside Edinburgh makes much of its bespoke wedding facilities, for example.

I think that the venue that impressed me most amongst those that I have seen was Fingask Castle outside Dundee. That's quite small in scale. But there are other lovely castle venues in the Fife and Angus area, at least, so do look around!

By the way, has today's big newspaper story about the stepmother-in-law who wants to be the UK Miss Manners made it across the pond? Amongst her many pompous points, she opines, "No-one gets married in a castle unless they own it". Own a castle? A good way to go broke, more likely!

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle wedding

i play in a ceilidh band and frequently play in both fingask castle (between dundee and perth) which is about 5mins from my house and at dalhousie castle near edinburgh...they would be among my first two options aswell.. the other reply was john who judging by his logo is in a band too!!

fingask is in a fantastic setting on a hillside estate. we usually play in the marquee which is huge... although the wedding ceremony itself would be fine and could be held in the castle (as far as i know from other weddings) any planned evening reception would be very small (in the castle) or of a reasonable size (in the marquee)..not so intimate..you can only phone and ask i guess.... they have a selection of places to stay around the estate.

dalhousie is in a nice setting- not so away from it all as fingask but really very nice all the same. it is very suited to smaller weddings of maybe 50-80. some of our best buffets have been from there too mmmmmmm

Culcreuch Castle Hotel is a medium sized place but i wouldnt recommend so much because of that (you are looking for small?)and it also has an annoying "L" shaped dance floor so any band that play are left out of sight around the corner

fernie castle in fife is quite nice and would suit small to medium weddings but i find the main dining/reception area a bit tacky (it is a newer extention)

as the man before said if you look around there are lots..also would you consider an old house rather than a hotel..there are even more of these around. if you find somewhere let us know!..we are bound to have been there so can offer a small opinion if you like

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
12 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle wedding

Hi.

I am just back from being a guest at a wedding at Fingask Castle just outside perth.

http://www.fingaskcastle.co.uk/

True it may look more like a stately house than a castle but I think everyone who went will be recommending it to anyone seeking a great wedding experience.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle wedding

My mate got married at Blair castle. Its lovely. Not cheap though.

http://www.blair-castle.co.uk/

8. Re: Castle wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 22:22