We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one last day in Scotland, then to Dublin . . .what to do

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
one last day in Scotland, then to Dublin . . .what to do

We are making our first trip to Scotland and Ireland in 2 weeks and are from the U.S. We've booked our plans to stay in Edinburgh for 5 days (2 nights near Royal Mile and 2 nights in Dalhousie Castle). We have one more day and night before we need to meet up with my husbands business team in Dublin - so are wondering what to do. We'll check out of Castle Tues morning and need to meet in Dublin Wed evening.

Originally, we thought we'd take a train to Liverpool, stay the night, then take ferry to Dublin . . . but after reading many reviews, it seems it would be a long day with not much scenery. Many suggested just flying Edinburgh to Dublin.

Are there any scenic areas in Scotland that might be worth a day trip? (Glasgow? St. Andrews? Others?) Any other interesting ferry rides? If we fly, is Edinburgh the best airport to get to Dublin from?

All suggestions welcome! : )

Thanks!

D

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Royal Mile
Royal Mile
20,008 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Dalhousie Castle
Dalhousie Castle
1,504 Reviews
Bonnyrigg, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one last day in Scotland, then to Dublin . . .what to do

Well, you could drive to Oban and take the ferry to the Isle of Mull. I have never been there personally, but it has been on my wish list for as long as I have been going to Scotland.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

http://www.calmac.co.uk/

You also mentioned St. Andrews. I believe all of Fife is beautiful. You could spend a day driving through the little fishing villages Pittenweem, Anstruther (for the fish bar!!) etc. Falkland is a little village inland that I love. It's not far to drive to Dundee and Arbroath for a day of exploring also. I enjoy Stirling also and from there you could toodle around the loch Lomand area.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Pittenweem
Pittenweem
Fife, UK
Anstruther
Anstruther
Fife, UK
Falkland
Falkland
Fife, UK
Dundee
Dundee
Scotland, UK
Arbroath
Arbroath
Angus, UK
2. Re: one last day in Scotland, then to Dublin . . .what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 17:19