We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detailed itinerary for 1 week drive ready. Suggestions?

Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Detailed itinerary for 1 week drive ready. Suggestions?

With great help from TA contributors, I have an itinerary for a week's stay in Scotland.

Day 1: Arrive Manchester. See family history sights and stay overnight in Doncaster.

Day 2: Drive from Yorkshire through eastern England on the A1, then through the Melrose, Peebles, Carnwath area with brief sightseeing. Then the M9 through Stirling (stop at the Castle) to Glen Coe. Overnight at Fern Villa Guest House in Ballachulish.

Day 3: Explore Glen Coe area. Could also tour Argyll a bit if there is time. Stay at Fern Villa again.

Day 4: Drive to Maillig and take ferry to Armadale, Isle of Skye. Explore south/west of Skye. Drive to Dornie to sleep at The Schoolhouse at Dornie.

Day 5: Drive up to Uig area and explore. Return to Dornie and The Schoolhouse overnight.

Day 6: Another day to explore Skye, or day trip to Assynt area. Final night at The Schoolhouse in Dornie.

Day 7: Drive across M9 to Edinburgh. Spend evening in city. Sleep at private guesthouse on Royal Mile.

Day 8: Spend day on Royal Mile. 2nd night at guesthouse.

Day 9: Fly to Ireland.

Suggestions/criticisms are appreciated.

My husband is the outdoor type, so we'll take time to walk/hike around some. I like history and scenery so we'll stop at some castles, etc, but not constantly. We both love the water.

One difficulty I have is my diet. I don't eat meat and cannot eat any wheat (gluten-free) so that makes eating out every day hard. The saving grace is I eat chicken, eggs, and dairy. The Schoolhouse allows self-catering, so that may be very nice in the middle of the week. I understand there are excellent seafood restaurants we would enjoy, so I'd love suggestions about them. We would enjoy local pubs with music if there's anything I could eat there!

Thanks in advance for your input. This is a very helpful online community.

11. Re: Detailed itinerary for 1 week drive ready. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 03:17