We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

Maroochydore...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

My girlfriend lives in Edinburgh for work and I am traveling from Australia to visit her in late August. Only thing is we only have five days together before I have to go on to Spain for work. I want to hire a car and do two nights away at a B&B or nice hotel somewhere a 1-3 hr drive from Edinburgh. Can anyone recommend a nice part of the country side to visit with perhaps a castle to see and some romantic scenery? Thanks

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

Two suggestions:

Pitlochry. Lovely countryside, nice walks, Blair Castle nearby. The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel (although mainly catering for the older bus tour crowd) does have a nice pool and some rooms with four posters with views.

Less obvious from Edinburgh - head south to Northumberland. Staying on Holy Island/Lindisfarne has a magical feel when the tide comes in and you're cut off. There's also Bamburgh castle nearby.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

I enjoyed a lovely romantic short break at the Hilton in Craigendarroch, which is near Ballater, inland from Aberdeen. Lovely mountainous scenery, and nearby to lots of quaint nice towns in Royal Deeside. Also close to Balmoral, which will satisfy your castle craving! The hotel itself is great, and they have great suites with jacuzzi bathtubs and balconies overlooking the mountains. We found a good deal through the Hilton website.

Abs :)

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
661 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

try Alyth - away from the tourist paths - castles nearby are

Glamis, Scone - a little further Dunnottar - house of Dun is great to visit - countryside is more agricultural we are smack in the middle of 'berry country' with strawberries & raspberries to die for. But foothills of the cairngorms are 10 mins away, beaches at carnoustie, tentsmuir sands approx 1/2 hour

1 1/2 hours from Edinburgh - max. and easy driving to a lot of attractions

Tigh na leigh has a great 4poster bedroom,

Lands of Loyal Hotel has nice, more country house hotel feeling

Best of all - turn off the mobile, don't tell where you are going - and no one will find you here.....

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

The Cameron House hotel on Loch Lomond would fit the bill but it's 5* and very expensive. There are however lots of other accommodation options around Loch Lomond that are easier on the wallet.

The scenery here is amongst the best in the world and we are under an hour and a half drive from Edinburgh.

(Incidentally we drove through Maroochydore and stayed a night in Mooloolaba and four nights in Noosa on a trip to Oz three years ago. Had a great time!)

Maroochydore...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, could you recommend any B&Bs in Loch Lomond? Any other tips for things to see and do for that area? Thanks!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

This one is the number one rated B&B. I live just a couple of miles away and I have obviously never stayed there but it is in a lovely setting and it gets great reviews.

http://www.watersedgecottage.co.uk/

If you go for any of the top rated places on TA you cannot go far wrong.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186586-c2-West_Dun…

You'll probably be best staying in Balloch or somewhere else on Loch Lomondside. This is within the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. Dumbarton Castle, a hidden gem with tons of history, is located about five miles away. It is not as big as Edinburgh or Stirling castles but it is well worth a visit, with its amazing views.

historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/…

Stirling, with it's castle is about a 35 minute drive.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 13:55
Maroochydore...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

Hi Alex

We're all booked at the watersedge. Apart from the Dumbarton Castle, any other suggestions for things to see or do in 3 days?

Or suggestions for places to eat!

Many thanks!

8. Re: Romantic Weekend in the Scottish Countryside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:18