We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suggestions

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation suggestions

Hi All

Looking for suggestions for accommodation and places of interest for the following itinerary:

Saturday 27 August Ijmuiden for ferry

Sunday 28 August Newcastle to Edinburgh

Monday 29 August Edinburgh to St Andrews

Tuesday 30 August St Andrews to Pitlochry

Wednesday 31 August Pitlochry to Inverness

Thursday 1 September Inverness to Isle of Skye

Friday 2 September Isle of Skye

Saturday 3 September Isle of Skye to Oban

Sunday 4 September Oban to Loch Lomond

Monday 5 September Loch Lomond to Glasgow

Tuesday 6 September Glasgow to Stranranraer (ferry to Ireland, night in Belfast)

Two people, budget about Eur 100 per day.

Thanks in advance!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation suggestions

Are you looking for a different hotel for each night ?

Edinburgh -August is the Edinburgh Festival -rooms are expensive - certainly double your budget .

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation suggestions

Looking for a different hotel for each different place - so happy to stay in same place near (or on?) Isle of Skye, for instance. I know its the festival, but its towards the end, or will that not make a difference? Can also stay a bit out of town if that would help - or just pay a bit more for that night.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
384 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation suggestions

Some suggestions I can vouch for:

Inverness -- Trafford Bank B&B, fabulous.

Around St. Andrews, a B&B a bit out of town might save you some money. My favorite is Crail - beautiful place -- check Hazelton Guest House. Or Ferrymuir Stables B&B in Cupar. There are many others.

In Pitlochry, Moulin Hotel. About 2 miles out of town, I think. Shabby-chic, lots of atmosphere. Good food and bar.

Outside Glasgow, Uplawmoor Hotel in Uplawmoor. Not expensive, not fancy, very friendly. Good food. Not far off M77. Just a little off your route to ferry.

Have never stayed on Skye.

Have not stayed in outskirts of Edinburgh, only in Old Town, but I know a B&B on bus line a friend has used and can find name if you don't get a better recommendation. But all these locations have multiple B&B recommendations and reviews here. Good luck.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation suggestions

In Edinburgh we have stayed at Jurys Inn -rooms are around 90 pounds a night-

But parking in Edinburgh is difficult

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,585 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation suggestions

you won't have much time for places of interest,you will be spending all your time travelling or looking for your hotel.

How are you travelling around?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation suggestions

On Loch Lomond we stayed at the Lodge on Luss and would certainly go back again. Have the french windows open and hear the water lap under your room .Ask for a room which doesnt share a balcony . In Edinburgh The Missoni is a favourite of mine

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation suggestions

We'll be driving - worked out that most days we'll be driving about two hours to get to destination, but this is not fixed in stone and would be more than happy to get recommendations about a better use of our time.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation suggestions

You could look at Kinross for the first few days rather than moving every night. It is close enough to both Edinburgh and St Andrews and easy to get to Pitlochry the next day.

I can recommend the Cullins Hill Hotel on Skye.

9. Re: Accommodation suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 06:15