We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast to Campbeltown

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast to Campbeltown

I am planning a trip from Northern Ireland (Belfast area) to visit family in Campeltown/Tarbert Scotland and also wanted to fit in Edinburgh as well. I thought taking the Larne/Troon ferry would be a great way to go, then take the train connection to Glasgow. From Glasgow, we could do a day trip to Edinburgh and the next day visit Campbeltown/Tarbert via a drive. Is the drive scenic and worth it or is taking the bus a better way to go? Any recommendations about places to stay in the Argyll area before heading back to Glasgow (from there we're flying back to the US)? Also, any advice on spending more time in Edinburgh vs. Glasgow? FIrst time visiting, advice much apprecaited!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

Glasgow to Tarbert via Loch Lomond and Inveraray is certainly a good scenic drive and takes about 2.5 hours without stops.

Campbeltown is a good bit further.

There is a good bus service but hiring a car would be better.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

If time is short, I'm fairly sure you could fly to Edinburgh, then get a train to Glasgow, and then bus or car to Campbeltown (the remotest town in Great Britain?)

I always recommend stopping in Inverary. Tarbert is another option, but probably too near Campbeltown.

Somewhere around Loch Lomond would be good for Glasgow Airport.

There are differing views regarding Glasgow and Edinburgh.

How long have you got? Each is attractive in its own way, with Edinburgh probably having the more touristic, iconic setting.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,465 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

The 926 Citylink bus runs from Glasgow to Campbeltown - but it's over 4 hours each way

In a similar time you could drive from Edinburgh then (assuming the ferry is running) return via Arran to Glasgow.

London
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

As you probably appreciate, Campbeltown is much nearer Belfast than either Glasgow or Edinburgh. If you are planning a summer visit, KintyreExpress run a passenger ferry from Ballycastle to Campbeltown. The service runs to September.

http://www.kintyreexpress.com/

I suspect you'd save time by taking the ferry direct from Northern Ireland to Campbeltown - then when you're done there take the WestCoast motors coach to Glasgow.

The coach runs through Tarbert so you can pick it up either in Campbeltown or Tarbert.

westcoastmotors.co.uk/userfiles/tt/glas-camp…

Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
480 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

rcspeirs

This ferry service is a revelation to me. I'd never heard of it and it doesn't appear on any maps. I'm guessing the NI link may be quite new? It looks like a really handy link to the islands especially taking both time and the cost of fuel into consideration.

Have you used it? If so what was the crossing like? I wonder if it is a bit 'bumpy'?

It's hard enough getting my husband on a roro ferry so he would probably have to be sedated, bound and gagged for this :) :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

There was a ferry on that route a few years ago but it folded. This one is new.

Campbeltown is far from centres of population, and the route will compete with the ferry to Troon, which is only 30 minutes from Glasgow.

London
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

Have not personally used it.

I think the target market is golf enthusiasts coming over from Ireland (and that certainly isn't me!) - the links course at Machrahanish is apparently challenging. It's a smallish boat, so I guess i might be a touch bumpy on a windy day.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

I find it takes about 4.5 to 5 hours to drive from Campbeltown to Edinburgh. If you go via Arran, the drive is shorter by the ferries are prices and you have to align with the timetables.

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

Thanks so much for the advice! I am looking into adjusting our trip dates so we can catch the Kintrye ferry (ends service in September) or see if they can accommodate us via private chatter (waiting on a reply email, it might not be economical). If that doesn't work out, it sounds like the drive is scenic and we'd get to enjoy the countryside.

10. Re: Belfast to Campbeltown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 04:18