We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

Looking for suggestions on places to visit in Scotland in Spring of 2012. I will be there for a few weeks and don't want to miss the must-see's in the area. I'm open for anything- really interested in something historic. I am also a photographer so something scenic would be great. Any small communities as well would be awesome- also open for suggestions of things to do/see in Glasgow, Edinburg and Inverness. Am I missing anything important?? Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

Difficult to know where to start.

How about doing some research and deciding what you would like to see?

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk is a good starting point.

None of the places you mention would be considered small.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

Get yourself a good guide book with decent pictures and start reading. Eye witness Scotland is one of the best and you can buy it from Amazon:

amazon.ca/Eyewitness-Travel-Scotland-Dorling…

It has a lot of information about the main tourist sites but also covers many of the smaller hidden gems which do not get a mention in Lonely Planet, Rough Guide etc. It has reasonable maps so you can see where the different places are. It also has suggestions for accommodation and eating.

Do try and get off the main tourist trail. There are so many good places to find in Scotland. 'Must sees' are very personal. My must see list could be your 'avoid at all costs".

Have you thought about spending time in the islands- Shetland, Orkney, western Isles, Mull?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

Thanks everyone all these suggestions are very helpful and I will definitely check out the sites and book! Much appreciated.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

Orkney for history and photography combined.

Near Inverness - Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns (yes I finally visited the latter EESW- very atmospheric!)

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/cullode…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

Good luck with the research

Woody x

5. Re: Trip ideas for Scotland- Spring 2012???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 22:16