We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland in 4 days

Sao Jose Dos...
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland in 4 days

We are in a group of 2 couples. We are going to travel around Great Britain for 2 weeks and we will be in Scotland for 4 days in october. I have hired a car and we are not afraid to drive. What I mean is that I am aware I might have to cover long distances to see some of the different landscapes Scotland has to offer. We would like to see the Highland in its best and, if possible do some hiking or any other activity. We are also looking forward to visit at least one real distillery. That said we thought about staying two days in Edinburgh. In the second evening we should leave and start to drive around Scotland. I am thinking about going to Oban that evening and spending the night there. On the next day we would visit the Oban Distillery (it's one of the best reviewed I have seen but we are open to advises). Then, we should drive all the way to Fort William and, from there, to Mallaig (road to the isles). Then we should take the ferry to Skye and, if we have time, go all the way to the "Old Man of Storr" and do the hiking trail. If not, we would just visit the Eilean Donan Castle. At the end of all that we should drive to Fort Augustus and spend the night. On the other day we are thinking on doing the fast boat trip to Urquhart and then drive to Stirling where we would spend the last night. I know it is pretty much to cover but is it possible? Other questions are:

Is it worth going all the way to Skye (if we do not go to the old man storr and just drive from Almarade to Kyleakin, is this and the road to the isles still worth the trip)?

Would the Cairngorm or the Trossard be a better choice ( the latter being much closer).

Is Oban distillery with the trip (it is not that long trip since we are heading all the to Skye and it is considered a day pretty region)?

Which other itineraries would you recommend

Thank you a lot

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
354 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland in 4 days

Think you've posted this on the wrong site, this covers London, England

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland in 4 days

No, its not possible at all. Its crazy

Scottish roads are so different to a mindless cruise. The roads are narrow, twisty, with traffic and you have to focus rather than switch off. You will spend the entire time exhausted, and gazing at tarmac. If not worse, as what you propose is simply dangerous.

Spend 2 days in Edinburgh, then drive up to Oban for a night, its a scenic drive past Loch Lomond, and then come back the following day.

Oban distillery is decent, the 14 year old is a bit rough, but quite a pleasant drink. The tour is decent enough, not the best I've ever been on, but far from the worst

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland in 4 days

Skye is, quite possibly, the most beautiful place I've ever been on the planet. But a trip there simply cannot be rushed. Both because the scenery needs to be "taken in" rather than glimpsed as you rush about. And because it's hard to get anywhere fast on a isle of sheep-encrusted single track roads. Also keep in mind that Scotts consider Skye to be a "misty" place.. which is really saying something .You can't count on good weather. If you must spend two days in Edinburgh, don't try and squeeze in a trip to Skye. Too many other wonderful and much more accessible places to go.

Side note - The Old Man of Storr was the least scenic hike we did in Skye, and the only one where we encountered significant numbers of other people.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland in 4 days

I'm assuming you have not come across route planning sites like www.viamichelin.com or theaa.com ? Useful for working out how long it takes from Oban to Skye, via distillery, Fort William and ferry.

Yes, you can drive from Edinburgh to Oban in 4 or 5 hours past world-class scenery, but if you do it in the evening you won;t see the Highlands at its best - it will be dark.

Armadale to Kyleakin is about the least interesting and unrepresentative road on Skye.

The Trossachs would be a good choice.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland in 4 days

still puzzling as to why you ask a question regarding Scotland in the forum of the capital of another country.

Sao Jose Dos...
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland in 4 days

I just clicked "forum" and then "ask a question" and I have no idea how did I ultimately post it in "London".

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland in 4 days

Welcome to the forums Xisto65! We've moved your topic here, to the Scotland forums, where it is more appropriately placed.

In the future, you can navigate to any desired forum from the forum home page at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

Please send me a message if you have any questions and good luck with your research.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and information!

TA_Louise

cambs
Level Contributor
532 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland in 4 days

HI

In October I'd advise having driving done by 4pm 9so make sure you have an early start!)

So with 2 days your basic plan needs to be

up early

drive all day

have a relaxing evening

try this

day 1 leave Edinburgh on M8 for Glasgow, continue on M8 signed Greenock and shortly after Glasgow Airport pick up signs for Erskine Bridge, on which cross River Clyde

now pick up A82 for Loch Lomond and Balloch and on via Crianlarich and GLencoe to BAllachulish

overnight at Ballachulish or Oban

day 2 dirve south via Oban (take short detour over the ;Bridge over the Atlantic to Seil Island)

then via Lochgilphead and Inveraray and rest-and-be-thankfulback to Loch Lomond and on to Edinburgh

9. Re: Scotland in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2012, 00:16