We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Scotland in a week.

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving around Scotland in a week.

I'm planning a road-trip to Scotland from London to Edinburgh or Falkirk/Stirling, and from then on to drive even further to Ullapool in Sutherland, Scotland, and then back down to London. Please tell me if I can do this all in a week.

Thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,375 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around Scotland in a week.

You could certainly drive it - but I would assume you'd want to do something else apart from driving and sleeping.

I'd fly / take sleeper train to Inverness, hire a car, then drive around Scotland ending up at Edinburgh where you take the sleeper / day train back to London

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving around Scotland in a week.

Have a look at this website which is excellent for working out routes, distances and driving times.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Remember these are minimum times and you will need to build in extra time for meal stops, any sightseeing etc.

London to Edinburgh is about 400 miles and is going to take a full day to drive. Its not the most exciting of drives either until you get well north. So there and back will take out 2 full days from your schedule.

You could do the loop from Edinburgh up the east coast to Thurso along the top and back down the east side through Ullapool to Glasgow in the remaining five days and then back to London. It is however a long time to spend driving and just admiring the scenery through the windscreen.

london
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around Scotland in a week.

I agree with Alanrow ... I was all for driving up, but my partner put his foot down and said he wouldn't go unless we flew up ... in the end we flew to Inverness, hired a car there, roamed around northern Scotland, dropped the hire car back to Inverness, then flew back

the trip you've outlined would be better spread over 2 weeks with more breaks up and back ... there's plenty of interesting places to see on the way

4. Re: Driving around Scotland in a week.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 06:17