We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

Here in the US it is customary for your waiter to clear away your plates after you've eaten, then ask if you would like dessert,coffee, etc. Then leave the check on your table saying "I can take care of that for you whenever you're ready". In Italy we found the waiter would wait for us to request the bill before he would bring it. How is this usually done in Scotland? Is it the same in pubs if you've had table service?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

In restauarnts the waiter clears the table then asks you about dessert / coffee. They never put the bill on your table until you ask for it.

In pubs it will depend on the pub

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,254 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

in most pubs you will not be able to run a tab and will have to pay for drinks as you get them.

Usually in pubs you would have to order your meal at the bar,you will see a number on the table,just quote that and you pay for everything in advance.

some pubs will give table service and run a tab but they are pretty rare in my experience.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

"They never put the bill on your table until you ask for it."

They will occasionally bring you the bill, even if you are not ready for it. Depends if they want you out or not.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

Ha Ha -I do not agree with the O/P - I wrote a review about a restaurant in Estero-Florida (Ruth Chris ) who kept trying to give us the bill before we had even started our dessert

never found ANY restaurant in Scotland or England to be that rude !

california
Level Contributor
552 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

Thanks for the info! We appreciate knowing how things are commonly done in countries we are visiting. Sorry to hear about your experience in Florida, barb, there's really no excuse for that kind of service.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

"never found ANY restaurant in Scotland or England to be that rude !"

This happened to a colleague in a popular Edinburgh restaurant The bill came with the coffee. He asked why? Their answer "We need the table back"

So he and his mates sat and drank coffee for another two hours!!

No mean feat.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

To backup the other posters: if a restaurants gives you the bill before you ask for it, they are indicating they want you out. They are not necessarily being rude about it. If you are paying £100 a couple in an expensive restaurant you would certainly object. But it would be acceptable in a busy diner which relies on turnover to keep prices keen.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

^ I agree ^

I spent a lot of time in the USA in the nineties (working and on holiday). In restaurants I used to get quite annoyed at them for giving me a bill before I asked for it then I realised that this is just the way it is done over there.

9. Re: Question re restaurant tabs in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 12:18