We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland in may!

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland in may!

Hello!

May is far, I know, but really looking forward to go back to Scotland. As we need to go to a wedding in Yorkshire, why not take a few days to explore around!

My boyfriend never been to Scotland, I have been in 2003 (Edimburgh, Stirling, Fort Williams, Ullapool, Isle of Skye, Inverness and Fort Agustus).

Would you have any ideas or suggestion for a week or so? I would love to go back to Skye.

Any suggestion, if its better to rent a car, or rely on public Transportation?

Thanks a lot and have a lovely day!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland in may!

Whether or not you rent a car depends on where you end up going. If you go to Skye and the west I would rent a car. Or, you could think about going all the way north to Orkney. In May the migrating birds start to arrive and you have wonderful long days. You will want to rent a car on Orkney if you can. Orkney has wonderful Viking and older sites to visit including the Ring of Brogdar and more.

Pam

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland in may!

Good points from Pam, there, but the answer to the original question can only be a very firm "it depends".

There are parts of Scotland - most obviously, the centres of Edinburgh and Glasgow - where a car is more than a nuisance. You will spend huge amounts of time and money on parking, which is likely to be located miles from where you are staying, but that's only a minor problem as you won't want to drive around in it. If you are visiting these places, using public transport is the only sane option.

Apart from those cities, there are plenty of other locations that you can visit from these bases, whether by train, bus or tour. Some outstanding spots (Rannoch Moor, the top of the Glenfinnan viaduct) are accessible only by rail, and public transport means that none of your party have to devote their attention to driving. You can certainly spend a very full week in Scotland, seeing a wide range of sites and doing a range of activities, without going near a car, and probably several.

But there are also plenty of places that are very much Scotland - the less populated areas of both North and South - that are a lot easier to get to by car, and a car also offers options for spontaneity and exploration. If that's what you are after, you do need to hire one. Just don't plan to drive it down Princes Street - buses and taxis only. (And maybe, just maybe, trams will travel down that street one day, too).

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland in may!

Never rely on public transport (buses) in the Highlands. My limited experiences have meant waiting around for ages for buses that just don't arrive - hire a car or go by train!!

W x

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland in may!

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Orkney is a really good idea.

We could probably take the train from York or Manchester to Edimburgh, and went we are ready to go explore, rent a car.

Very looking forward to go back to Scotland (even if may is still far away!!!)

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I was thinking more of the Highlands, maybe go see some distillery as well.

Do not hesitate if you have some that arent to be miss!

Have a lovely day!

5. Re: Scotland in may!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 21:16