We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to Dublin?

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries to Dublin?

I know there are ferries from Scotland to Northern Ireland, but are there ferries from Scotland to Dublin? I am having trouble finding them on the various ferry websites. I am not the best airline passenger in the world, and am trying to avoid taking another flight. Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,314 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to Dublin?

No you would ahve to get to Liverpool or Holyhead to get a ferry to Dublin. Probably easier to take the ferry to Belfast then a train or bus to Dublin. See Stena Line rai & sail

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries to Dublin?

The Burns & Laird line have long since discontinued that service.

www.seat61.com

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries to Dublin?

Thanks for that info.... guess I have to buckle up and get on another plane!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries to Dublin?

You can buy a 'SailRail' combined train and ferry ticket from anywhere in Scotland to Dublin via belfast (using the Stranraer-Belfast Stena Line ferry) for around £34 any day, any date.

Or you can go Scotland to Holyhead by train then Holyhead to Dublin by ferry for £33 train+ship or £38 train+fast ferry, any day, any date.

You can buy either ticket at any main station or online at www.thetrainline.com or www.raileasy.com. They'll give you train+ferry times, too. A morning departure from Edinburgh or Glasgow will connect with the 14:05 Irish ferries ship or 13:50 Stena Line ship (personally, I prefer the IF ship 'Ulysses' but some prefer the Stena Adventurer) arriving Dublin at 17:25 (IF) or 17:05 (Stena).

When using the online booking system, select 'Dublin Port (Irish Ferries) to travel on the superb Irish Ferries cruise ferry 'Ulysses' or 'Dublin Port (Stena)' to use the Stena Adventurer.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,747 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries to Dublin?

If you don't mind sailing with lots of bikers then the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co operate a service from Larne to Douglas from 31st May 2012 to 10th June 2012 when the TT is on.

You can then catch a ferry from Douglas to Dublin.

Not sure what the connection times are like at Douglas or if you'd have to spend the night there so here's their website:

https://www.steam-packet.com

Also, you would be limited to travelling during the first one and a half weeks of June, unless you can get down to Heysham and get the ferry to Douglas and then the ferry from Douglas to Dublin.

6. Re: Ferries to Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 12:15