We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands trip April 2012

Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Islands trip April 2012

Hi. Thinking of going on a trip around the islands of Scotland, but don't know where to begin. Firstly should we hire a camper van or stay in hotels/b&bs? Should we fly from Glasgow (our home) to somewhere like Harris or should we drive up from Glasgow and see stuff on the way up. We have a wee starting on Monday 23 April. Any suggestions or itineraries would be very helpful. I've lived here for 32 years now and not see anything north of Inverness.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islands trip April 2012

You probably need to think about west of Inverness rather than north.

If you head up to Loch Lomond you can't really go wrong.

You certainly won't be able to see too much in one week, but I would certainly recommend the Isle of Skye for some stunning scenery.

I think a camper van many be a bit cold at this time of year. We camped in August and it was freezing (literally) at night - so last time we rented houses in each place.

We had a nice day trip from Ullapool across to Stornoway. This included a bus to some interesting places.

Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islands trip April 2012

A good place to start is with the CalMac website

This shows you all the ferry routes on the west coast. If you do multiple trips you could get a hopscotch ticket.

It can get expensive with a car or a campervan so you could look at Skye as an alternative, using the bridge

Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islands trip April 2012

Avoid flying. Get yourself onto the A82 and head north and west. Great scenery within half an hour of Glasgow. And as suggested earlier - have a good look at CalMac's website.

Modern campervans will be warm enough in April, however I would opt for B&B. Gives you the chance to chat with people who live on the islands, a great opportunity to learn about pros and cons of island living.

Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islands trip April 2012

With only a week, I would suggest that perhaps you restrict yourself to Skye and Mull - the Western Isles are lovely, but then so is most of the west highlands. Perhaps head for Skye via the bridge, spend a few days there, then leave via the Armadale - Mallaig ferry, drive to Kilchoan or Lochaline, ferry to Mull for a few more days, before heading back to Glasgow. You can return via Oban and Inverary to give yourself a different route to your outwards trip. Camper van will give you more flexibilty, but as Tony says, B & B will mean you meet more people, and I always find that guest house owners are happy to give ideas for trips or things to see - maybe things you wouldn't have known about.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islands trip April 2012

No 4's itinerary looks good to me. Another option might be to combine Skye with a few days on Lewis and Harris, using the Calmac ferry from Uig to Tarbert.

6. Re: Islands trip April 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:17