We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to the Highlands and Back

Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Topic
Edinburgh to the Highlands and Back

I'm going to be doing a solo trip to Scotland from the evening of February 8- the afternoon of the12th, and would really like to make it to the Highlands. I am planning on spending the 9th exploring Edinburgh, trying to take in as much of the city as I can. I've been looking into catching a train to Inverness early in the morning of the 10th, staying the night, and returning to Edinburgh the morning of the 11th. Can anyone provide me with any insight into some of the best places to take in the natural scenery of the Highlands given my time restrictions? Does this seem too ambitious for such a short amount of time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't have a ton of travel experience!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to the Highlands and Back

Hi. Edinburgh to Inverness is 3.5 hr each way on the train, so a fair amount of travelling for a single night away. The train journey itself has some lovely scenery though. Inverness is a nice enough place to visit, but wouldn't be my choice of single Highland hot spot. If you are interested in the scenery and environment of the Highlands, a slightly shorter train journey to Aviemore or Pitlochry for one night might be a better idea. They are both pleasant small towns with tourist shops and attractions and pleasant countryside walks and scenery.

Train tickets should be booked in advance for cheapest deals.

Abs :)

Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to the Highlands and Back

I Just looked at a couple sites about Aviemore and Pitlochry, they both look like exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for answering my question perfectly!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to the Highlands and Back

Just be aware that the sun sets at 5pm at that time of year so make sure you make the most of the daylight.

4. Re: Edinburgh to the Highlands and Back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:20