We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice onLast 4 days of trip

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advice onLast 4 days of trip

My husband and I will be in Scotland for 28 days. The following is our itinerary:

Days 1-5 - Callander

Days 6-8 - Edinburgh

Days 9-10 - Invergarry-loch ness

Days 11-16 - Grantown on Spey

Days 17-19 - Orkneys

Days 20-24 - Skye

Days 25-27 -???

We have to be at the edinburgh airport at 5:30 on day 28. We re trying to decide wht to do our last 3 days and need suggestions. We love historic sites, scenery, castles, walks. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

As Kevin says, if you haven't confirmed any bookings yet, it might be worth reconsidering the order of your itinerary. Callander - Edinburgh - Invergarry - Grantown - Orkney - Skye - Perthshire/Fife is quite a lot of zig-zagging about.

More logical would be Edinburgh - Perthshire/Fife - Grantown - Orkney - Skye - Invergarry - Callander - Edinburgh. (Or vice-versa, of course).

Re Orkney to Skye, 3nationsfamily makes a good point. And I certainly wouldn't recommend going via Aberdeen by ferry! Better to take a couple of days and drive via Ullapool, Gairloch etc, which will take you through some of the UK's most spectacular scenery,.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

That is actually one of the ideas I have been thinking about as we would get to see more of the Western part of Scotland. I am going to do some research on this as it makes a lot of sense. I was toying with the idea of doing the Borders but it's a long drive to get there.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

Sorry I didn't address my previous reply properly. I was responding to the suggestion to go through Argyle and Bute. We are going to Callander first and then Edinburgh because we are meeting friends who are flying into Edinburgh. We are flying on airline points so are going when we could get tickets therefore we will be there before they arrive. They are leaving us after Grantown on Spey and my husband and I are going alone to Orkney, Skye, etc. Also, we are going May 9-June 6, 2012. I know it's a long drive from Scrabster on the North coast to Skye but it is also seeing spectacular scenery according to everything I have read.

Any other suggestions of things we should see while we are in our different locations.

Thanks to Tom for such a great reply. I am going to see if we can squeeze any of them into the trip.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

Do any of you have advice as to whether we should choose Mull/Iona vs. Argyle/Bute? We will have been to two other islands during the trip so is Mull really great after seeing Orkney and Skye?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

Strictly speaking, the islands of Mull and Iona are part of the Argyll and Bute local authority.

However, to answer your question, Orkney, Skye and Mull are very different places, in their history, land/seascapes, and in what they have to offer the visitor.

My suggestion would be to leave Skye by the ferry to Mallaig first thing on day 25, and drive to Mull via the wonderfully scenic (and narrow and winding!) roads to either Lochaline or Kilchoan, where you can catch a ferry to Mull. Spend three nights on Mull. Take a day trip to Iona while you are there.

On day 28, cross to Oban first thing. It's an easy and scenic drive to Edinburgh - I suggest via via Inveraray and Loch Lomond, as you will already have been to Callander.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

Thanks Dh. That sounds like a good plan. It sounds like the scenery would be better on Mull vs in Bute. Am I correct?

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

A couple placess we visited and really enjoyed:

- if you take dhmellor's advice, you could visit Kilchurn Castle between Oban and Inveraray. A neat ruin, 20 minutes walk out at the end of a peninsula at the head of Loch Awe. They got stairs and decks built up that allow you to the top of the castle.

While you are in Callander, some places fairly nearby

- Stirling Castle, of course

- Doune Castle (of Monty Python fame), pretty well preserved ruin

- Inchmahome Priory (a not well preserved ancient Priory (monestary)) out on an island in Lake of Monteith Very atmospheic and relaxing)

- Duke's Pass from Aberfoyle over the mtn back toward Callander

- Loch Katrine

--> Inchmahome, Loch Katrine and maybe Doune would make a nice day trip/loop.

- Drummond Castle Gardens (near Creiff) - Parts of the movie Rob Roy were filmed here

- Rob Roy grave in Balquhidder - not a big deal, but a little single track road and a view of Loch Voil.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

OP you ask 'It sounds like the scenery would be better on Mull vs in Bute. Am I correct?'

Yes, in my opinion you are. Bute is worth visiting for a number of reasons, notably its fine Victorian mansion Mount Stuart, and (believe it or not) the public lavatories in Rothesay! Mull is a much bigger island, it has lots more to see and do, some magnificent scenery, and as you say you are interested in historic sites, Iona is one of Scotland's most important.

19. Re: Advice onLast 4 days of trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:23