We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

Guelph, Ontario...
2 posts
Save Topic
When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

Hi There! I'm planning my honeymoon for August 20-28 (ish) 2012 and I just found a flight from Toronto Ontario Canada to Glasgow non-stop on Air Transat for $950 including taxes (round trip) - this is the best price I've seen but I'm wondering if there are better deals to be found closer to the summer?? Any advise on best time of year to book or best price you've seen for a Toronto to Glasgow or Edinburgh flight?

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

Auugust is peak time I believe - we flew the other direction FROM Scotland last August and it was expensive. I kept checking the flights, even after I booked but the prices seemed to be quite steadily high. Your price seems reasonable although we upgraded and sat at the front - something you may want to consider as its your honeymoon. The flight over was excellent - on the way back it was an older plane and more basic so not as good but seats were roomy with lots of legroom, propery cutlery and plates and glasses instead of plastic cups. Make sure they know its your honeymoon and you may get a comp. bottle of bubbly

Good luck

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

August is pretty much peak season in the UK. The price you have found seems very reasonable, and I doubt you will find prices dropping the closer you get to the time.

It would be worth posting this on the Air Travel Forum.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

Bear in mind that it's FestivalS season in Edinburgh and accommodation becomes hard and VERY expensive to find. There's a possibility also this year that the Olympics will shift Edinburgh accommodation demand to the last two weeks in August and hence accommodation may be in even shorter supply.

The airfare is the least of your worries, your plans for Scotland need firming up.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

Try checking out the flights you want through Canadian Affair as they tend to run a January Sale

http://www.canadianaffair.ca

and it'll likely offer the same Air Transat flights along with some Thomas Cook ones.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 15:53
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

You will not find a cheaper airline than airtransat!!! I fly over all the time and l am always on the watch for cheaper rates and l have never found one that can beat airtransat. August is peak season mainly because of the "Tattoo". You can go directly on the airtransat website to check out their prices. www.airtransat.com

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

Right now if you can fly out at the end of August airtransat has flights for $780 round trip, no stops!! Thats a great price for August. Transportation is much easier in Scotland than what it is here in Canada, so you could stay outside of Edinburgh as you will probably end up travelling all over the place. Make sure you go to the Scottish Military Tattoo while there, it is the most amazing show you will ever see.

Book soon as the flights will go fast and fuel surcharges are suppose to go up at the end of this month.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
36 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

We are flying AirTransat non stop Toronto to Glasgow on Sept.7th this year and we booked last week as we saw the price go from $945 to $1050 within 3 days.

I would book now.... I don't think the price will be dropping.

Enjoy your honeymoon....we just love Scotland..I'm sure you will too

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

We noticed last year that even though we booked in January the price didn't vary much as the months went by - however we were glad we had booked when we did mainly for peace of mind.

We LOVED Niagara on the Lake Barbi - wish we could have stayed there longer than 2 nights - what a beautiful place and all those vineyards!! maybe we should organise a house swop next year!!

Woody x

9. Re: When to book best flight from Canada to Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:32