We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day trip to Scotland in April

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
7 Day trip to Scotland in April

My Wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland April 24 through May 1st and would appreciate advice on places to see and stay in the Highlands. We are flying into Edinburgh and plan to spend two nights there. We would like to see St. Andrews, the Isle of Skye and Culloden. Also, we are interested in castles, archeological sites and scenery. Based on other suggestions I have read, we plan to take the train to St. Andrews and rent a car in Inverness, using that as a base. Thank you for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

The answer to all your questions is here:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Start on the map pages and follow the links for ideas of things to do and see in the different areas. You will be spoilt for choice.

There are also some suggested driving itineraries here:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/index.html

Don't be too ambitious or try to cram too much into your days. Driving in Scotland can be quite slow especially the further north and west you go. I use this site to plan journeys. Remember times given are without stops so add in plenty of time to cover these.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

Hi,

There have been plenty of threads about very similar trip routes here on the forum. I would have a look at some of the other recent threads for some ideas.

FWIW, my initial thoughts...

Using Inverness doesn't make sense to me. Inverness is a pleasant place to visit, but not as nice as Skye and St Andrews in terms of attractions and tourist merit. I would visit St Andrews, and then head north, up the A9, visit Culloden briefly and then head to the west coast - my preferred route would be A832 to Kinlochewe, A896 to Torridon/Lochcarron, A890 towards Dornie and then A87 to Skye. A small detour beyond Kinlochewe to Loch Maree/Gairloch would be a nice addition. You could spend 2-3 nights on Skye, and then head back towards Edinburgh, perhaps visiting Glen Coe and Loch Lomond on the way.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Loch Maree
Loch Maree
185 Reviews
Gairloch, UK
Glen Coe
Glen Coe
1,080 Reviews
Glencoe, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Torridon
Torridon
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Lochcarron
Lochcarron
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Dornie
Dornie
Lochalsh, UK
Gairloch
Gairloch
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

Your plans don't really make sense travel wise because you could waste a lot of time with public transport. You certainly don't need a car in Edinburgh, something you already know, but it may be worth hiring one in Edinburgh (perhaps getting yourselves out to the airport) which is then on the right side of town for going to St.Andrews.

I agree with Abs that you should go St.Andrews/Inverness and visit Culloden -when in the area - don't miss Clava Cairns near the battlefield at Culloden

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

There is nothing wrong with basing yourselves in Inverness but Abs suggestion will give you a round trip heading back to Edinburgh, thus maximising your stay. You don't say if your 7 days includes the 2 in Edinburgh - that would only give you 5 to complete Abs suggestion which would then be a bit of a rush especially if you wanted to spend some time on Skye.

Have a great holiday

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Clava Cairns
Clava Cairns
408 Reviews
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

A few comments and maybe a little reading between the lines.

OK, 7 days, 2 in Edinburgh, 5 for touring the HIghlands.

Trip to St. Andrews, I'm assuming by public transport and using one of the days in Edinburgh. If so, maybe consider adding 1 (possibly 2 days) to Edinburgh.

You mention castles, so certainly hope you see Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace, maybe even Craigmillar Castle reached by bus on the southern edge of Edinburgh. In addition to a trip to St. Andrews, maybe consider a train trip to Stirling to see Stirling Castle (this would require adding an additional 2nd night in Edinburgh). You'll get a similar feel from Edinburgh Castle, as well, so spending the extra day would be up to you.

Good advice, re: Inverness already. Taking the train up to INverness will open up the Highlands to you. Rather than using INverness as a "base", maybe think of it as a "jumping off point". Getting over to Skye as a day trp and coming back, makes little sense to me. INstead, rent a car in Inverness and then drive over, spending at least a night. better 2. You've got the Eileen Donan Castle on the way, so between that and Skye, it's a two-fer.

COme back and spend a night or 2 in or around Inverness. YOu can visit Culloden, there are also several castles including Cowdor and Brodie Castles fairly nearby. They were on my long list for our trip, but we didn't get that far north. Brodie is known for its daffodils, so maybe your timing is good for that? DOuble check their hours and open days.

Hope this helps and makes a little sense.

FWIW, (and more for the advisors and less for Alsyl) I see so many post on here w/people trying to hit both the east and west coasts of Scotland in too few days. To me, with less the a week to see it, the more logical thing is to go up central Scotland (A9 +/-), toward Inverness/Speyside and than heading east OR west. The sad thing is that so many people say, I must do St. Andrews AND I must do Skye. So they drive across the middle racing past perhap 3-4 dozen really great places to visit. Anyway, end rant.

Regards,

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle
39,135 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Holyrood Park
Holyrood Park
2,293 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Craigmillar Castle
Craigmillar Castle
700 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle
6,989 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Speyside Tours
Speyside Tours
247 Reviews
Dufftown, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

I agree with you Kevin - plus I always try to champion the wonderful scenery in Speyside and the Central Highlands.

However lots of people have heard of Skye so, like Loch Ness, thats where they feel they must go. Don't get me wrong - the West Highlands are beautiful in their own way but they are a bit too barren for me - and all those pointy peaks that I will never have the strength or agility to climb!!

Its difficult being an advisor when people haven't done enough research (OP and you excluded Kevin!) and are visiting a country without really knowing much about it - even the basic lie of the land, distances, main towns etc is helpful to know when planning and nowadays if you have the internet there is so much pre-journey research or even pre-planning research you can do which will help enormously

"Anyway end rant" (again!)

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Speyside Tours
Speyside Tours
247 Reviews
Dufftown, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,258 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

Thanks everyone. Your information has given me (as Woody states) help in doing research on the internet. Thanks for the web site suggestions also.

I have been to Edinburgh some time ago and saw the Royal Mile and the Castle, but not Holyrood, and then drove South to London.

As I firm things up, I may come back with more specific questions.

Al

Mentioned in this post
Holyrood Park
Holyrood Park
2,293 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,051 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Castle Tavern
The Castle Tavern
1,364 Reviews
Inverness, UK
7. Re: 7 Day trip to Scotland in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 10:20