We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Scotland

Halifax, Nova...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Trip to Scotland

My husband and I are taking a well-deserved vacation to Scotland this July for seven days. It is our first time to Europe together. My husband likes to golf but he may not want to do too much of that since we aren't traveling with others (and I don't golf). I enjoy historical sites, small towns and interesting shops or boutiques. Any suggestions for places in Scotland to go?We are flexible with type of transportation and accommodation. Would St. Andrew's cover it all or should we travel to several places? Thanks.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
730 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Scotland

Lots of posts on the forum answer your questions. Check out "7 days in Scotland, " for example. Get back to us with more specifics, please. St. Andrews and Fife are lovely, but the real spectacular scenery is in the northwest.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Scotland

If you want shopping then it has to be Glasgow, which is Scotland's shopping capital.

Do you want to base yourself in a small town?

Halifax, Nova...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Scotland

Yes We would like to base in a small town but don't know which one. We want to take several day trips from there. We are not much for driving long distances to see scenery - we do that here in Nova Scotia. We want a taste of Scotland not necessarily the works. Which small town would suit our needs? Thanks for your help.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Scotland

You may want to consider Stirling, which is a larger town with a small town feel. It ticks most of your boxes. It is very centrally situated and of course it has the excellent Stirling Castle (and a golf course).

There are literally dozens of top class golf courses within an hour's drive. It's an easy drive of not much more than an hour to St. Andrews and the Fife coast. It also has a mainline Railway station where you can take a train to places like Edinburgh and Glasgow. Other towns like Perth and Dundee are within easy reach.

Stirling is also a good shopping centre.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Scotland

There was a post here in the last week at :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k5120…

in which the original poster had a relatively relaxed 5-day itinerary in mind, but one that seemed to take in a good range of scenery. You could certainly expand that general route to fill a week by staying an extra night here or there and taking day trips. Like you, the husband is a golfer and the wife is not. The OP had planned a day for herself in St. Andrews, shopping and sightseeing, while her husband played golf. This might be a starting point in planning your own trip. ,

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Scotland

A good central base to consider would be Bridge of Allan near Stirling. It has a number of interesting boutique shops and a great selection of places to eat.

It is a former Victorian Spa town and has associations with Robert Louis Stevenson who went there for his holidays for many years.

It also won the best small town in Scotland award : allanwaterherald.co.uk/news/…

Easy access from here to Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews and Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.

Enjoy your holiday.

Kilronan

7. Re: First Trip to Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 10:19