We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

New Zealand
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

Hello, we have 2 weeks driving around Scotland in mid to late March this year, all part of my husband revisiting his childhood... he says he must get to the top!

We want to drive on roads less travelled with lots of opportuntiy to admire scenery, historic places, old houses,towns and villages along the way. Any advice re our planned route below would be great.

The plan so far ... to have one night in Edinburgh (have been there before so not too worried about moving on quickly) and then head to Stirling for the next night (taking in Culross, Linlithgow, Bannockburn enroute).

Night 3 - We are thinking of staying at Pitlochry (travelling via Loch Tay (Callendar, Balquhidder & Killin) or would driving Perth, Dunkeld be more picturesque? Would salmond be going upstream in March or is it too early?)

Night 4 - Inverness , Culloden

Night 5 Dornoch

Night 6 Wick (having been to Dunnets Head, Thurso, John O Groats)

Night 7 For Augustus or maybe Inverness again, taking in Drumnadrochit enroute, Calendonian Canal)

Nights 8 & 9 on Skye - (having taking a peek at Plockton

Night 10 Fort William

Nights 11 &12 Oban

Nights 13 & 14 Glasgow (having travelled via Inveraray, Craecrae gardens)

We would love any advice ... is this feasible? Any chance it could be relaxing or just too much gadding about? If too much what should we leave out? Any must- do's we have left out.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

Don't know where the First Minister will be in March, but spring salmon are going upstream. Not the same number as later in the year though. Salmon season on the Tay opened on Jan 15th with some 10+ pounders caught...

london
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

oh very witty Tom !!! ... the First Minister (sort of Prime Minister) is Alex Salmond

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

"sort of Prime Minister" - he wishes

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

" he wishes"

He's not the only one!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

http://www.perthshire.co.uk/index.asp?pg=362

All I would say is that it IS quite a full itinerary. I wouldn't go to Ft Augustus from Wick and then back to Skye - just make your way to Skye after Wick?

The other thing that slightly concerns me is the weather at that time of year - we could have snow or ice and that would greatly cut down on your driving speed and maybe eat into your itinerary somewhat. However on the plus side, so far the winter has been good with not much snow.

You can visit the Caledonian Canal from Inverness on Day 4 leaving yourselves more time on Day 7?

Regards

Woody x

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
40 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

Hi Tattytoo, my rule of thumb when travelling is to always try and stay two nights in one place, which stops that "whistle stop" tour feeling. It is a holiday after all! On a personal note I would include stop overs in Ullapool and at least two nights in Plockton rather than Skye! (my fav village in Scotland and certainly worth more than a peek!)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

Many thanks for your suggestions. A big help.

8. Re: Advice re our 2 weeks Scotland mid march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 10:24