We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

We have 3 nights in Edinburgh.

We booked a package for Edinburgh with tickets to the Tattoo. The package includes a day trip to the Highlands-Trossachs National Park,Killen, Falls of Dochart, Aberfeldy, Ossian's Cave.

We will then hire a car as we leave Edinburgh and drive to Dundee via St Andrews. 2 nights in Dundee.My great Grandfather came from Dundee so hoping to find some connection here depending on research, otherwise possibility of a day trip from here.

Drive to Aberdeen for 2nights-day trip from here up to Banff or Cullen?

Drive from Aberdeen via Braemar to Stirling. 2 nights here?

Return to Edinburgh for flight.

We enjoy history, scenery, culture, food.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

An easy day trip from Dundee is the impressive Glamis Castle, childhood home of HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother and the setting for Shakespeare’s 'Macbeth'.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Thanks Glamis castle looks good.

Would a better itinerary be - after Dundee drive to Inverness for 2 nights instead of Aberdeen, then Glencoe 1 night, Stirling 1 night.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Depends what you mean by "better" - Dundee via Blairgowrie/Braemar/Grantown on Spey and the on to the A9 to Inverness would be MY choice - missing out Aberdeen completely - then Inverness/Glencoe/Stirling.

In August the heather should be just about blooming making the high moor road suggestion of Blairgowrie/Braemar etc a superb drive.

So Dundee/A923 to Blairgowrie then A93 through Braemar(but stop - its lovely) then A939 to Tomintoul and down into Grantown on Spey etc.

If you are visiting Glamis its just a short turn off from Coupar Angus on to the A94 then you could go via Kirriemuir onto the B951 and join up with the Glenshee road (A93)

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

August 26th is Grantown on Spey Highland Games but that may be outwith your dates

Regards

Woody x

Edited: 12 February 2012, 12:43
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Thanks Woody.

I thought maybe better scenery and better in getting to see more of Scotland.

I am trying to get my head around the distances-used to travelling in Australia. So Dundee to Inverness is approx 3-4 hours driving plus stops?

Then Inverness to say Glencoe, would be approx 2 hours?

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Yes - and factor in a lot of time for stops - Braemar would be a good place to stop for a rest and a leg stretch and maybe some lunch but you will be stopping lots to see views and take photos - its that kind of a drive. I would say allow a full leisurely day for Dundee to Inverness especially if you plan to go via Glamis Castle. Inverness to Glencoe maybe half a day to get there depending which route you take but again you will have to keep stopping to admire the scenery!!

At the risk of being shot down in flames by Frances Jane - I would miss out Aberdeen - mainly because its a long detour and you dont have the time.

W x

Edited: 13 February 2012, 10:55
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

I agree entirely with Woody - excellent advice as always! Aberdeen has its merits, but missing out that portion of your original trip would allow you to spend more time exploring the west - which is (in my humble opinion), more spectacular for scenery.

I think 2 hours is slightly ambitious for Inverness to Glencoe - there are some glorious viewing points along that road, you will be tempted to many photo stops! Also there is commonly tourist traffic slowing down the flow somewhat.

Enjoy your trip!

Abs :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Thank you all. I think we will do the Dundee to Inverness, then down through Glencoe. I will do some more research on where to have overnight stays. What is the typical weather for around mid to late August ?

What are the driving conditions like through those areas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Maybe I should change my heading and re post those last questions!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

Hi!

Yes, weather questions do often spark unhelpful comments! Obviously we cannot predict the weather months (or week, r even days!) in advance. August is actually the wettest month in Scotland. The west is wetter than the east. You will not get snow in August (except on the peaks), but most other weather conditions are a possibility! On an average August day, in the western Highlands, expect temperatures of 15-20C, long long daylight hours, perhaps rain or beautiful sunshine.

Oh and don't forget midges!

As for driving conditions - the roads in Scotland are generally well maintained. The A9 is the main trunk road from Perth to Inverness, and is largely single carriageway (one lane in each direction), with sections of dual carriageway. It is a frustrating road to drive, you invariabl get stuck behind a haulage lory or slow wandering caravan! The Highlands are peppered with single track roads (as the name suggests, one lane, with passing places to allow vehicles to pass) - these take a bit of getting used to but as long as you pay attention and are courteous to other road users (let faster vehicles overtake from behind, as well as moving in to let vehicles coming in other direction pass).

Hope that helps.

Abs :)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Stirling-Edinburgh

The road from Dundee to Inverness will keep you off the A9 until the last section when you join after Carrbridge (if you are going via Braemar) This road, once past Blairgowrie is single carriageway (one lane in each direction) and quite narrow, so be prepared to slow down. There may also be sheep on the road!! Once past Braemar the road up to Tomintoul is narrow with passing places. When there is a car coming towards you the person nearest to the next passing place will pull over on HIS side of the road - don't cross over to use a passing place on the other side as this will confuse oncoming traffic!! You will also drive over a couple of cattle grids which is a noisy experience but will not harm your car.

Yes as Abs says. the midges are a bit of a nuisance, especially the further west you go but I'm sure they won't spoil your holiday - but they will try!!

Finally if you DO go through Carrbridge take a small detour to see the old packhorse bridge and river below - its beautiful.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/carrbridge/carrbr…

The last few years August has been quite a wet month - sorry!

Regards

Woody x