We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Hi,

I will be in Scotland from 27th March to 7th April 2012 arriving and departing from Edinburgh. I will love to drive along scenic routes looking at amazing cliffs, views, mountains, lakes, rivers, waterfalls as well as seeing culture with a bit of city life. Looking to rent a car from Edinburgh.

So far from my research, the places i have shortlisted are Edinburgh (3 days) for the city trip, then up to Oban (1 day), heading to Glencoe/Fort Williams (1 day), Inverness (Loch Ness) 1 day, Isle of Skye (3 days), Western Isle (Isle of Harris - Kilda trip) 2 days. From advice, will this trip enable to accomplish the above?

Am always open to suggestions from experts as well as my trip is not fixed yet.

I do want it to be a relaxing trip hence suggestions would be appreciated if the above is doable or if there are other alternative places i should consider too?

I have read that the Western Isles are beautiful but also a bit difficult to get to and expensive, is it worth the trip there from Skye? Referring to Isle of Lewis, Isle of Harris and day trip to St Kilda. I read reviews that Kilda isa once in a lifetime trip hence thought of doing a day trip there from Isle of Harris too.

Appreciate the advice for my very first trip to Scotland which i hope will leave memories of a lifetime :) Also, for car rental, which will be recommended for reasonable rental fees for 8 days?

Thanks!!!

Cheers

Audrey

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Be aware that a trip to St Kilda is very much weather dependent. I have only tried once, but could not make it owing to rough seas. One couple in our party had tried unsuccessfully twice before.

Any special reason for visiting Loch Ness? I would be tempted to drop that part of your trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Hi Stevie,

For Loch ness, its basically just to satisfy the curiosity of the lake where the Loch ness monster was found as thats about it. If there's really not much to see, I might drop it from the itinerary too.

Have you been to Isle of Harris or Isle of Lewis? Will you recommend staying overnight at either of those Isles or make a day trip there from Isle of Skye?

Also, are there any other places you will suggest visiting in Central Scotland? I have read some Travel guides but most of them mention Glencoe/ Fort Williams/ Oban/ Loch Lomond. I might want to spend another day in Central Scotland so would appreciate if you can advice of any other beautiful places to visit?

Thanks

Audrey

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

There is no monster so need need to visit.

I have been to Lewis,Harris and Skye. All have a lot to offer. Skye is the "easiest" to get to as you can cross a bridge (if you wish) and do not have to rely on ferries or flights.

Harris is my favourite.

I would recommend at least an overnight rather than attempting a day trip.

Got to run for now but will post more later.

PS - it is Fort William (no s)

Edited: 14 February 2012, 01:08
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Hi Stevie D,

Thanks. For Central Scotland, are there any places or regions you will recommend visiting as well?

Cheers

Audrey

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Hi Audrey,

What sort of things are you hoping to see/do in "central scotland"? The area around Pitlochry (Blair Atholl, Dunkeld, Pitlochry itself), is stunning highland-esque scenery. Perthshire, Crieff, Kinross is more rolling countryside, flatter and more farmland. Or there is Aberfoyle, Callander, Crianlarich, which is somewhere in the middle (hilly but not quite mountainous). There is a lot of outdoor activities, hiking, fishing, adventure sports in these areas.

Abs :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Re St Kilda, you may find that the day trips don't run that early in the year. Check with the two boatmen that I know of, Kilda Cruises and Seaharris.

Harris would be a good place to stay. I'd skip Loch Ness and Inverness if I were you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions for places to go in central Scotland! Basically, the aim of my trip is to see picturesque sceneries such as cliffs, mountains, coastlines, lakes, vast greenery ie a relaxing trip taking in the beauty of Scotland.

I have 11 days to spare and so far it's Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, Isle of Harris which is confirmed. From advice, i will probably skip Inverness. So i am just thinking if I should spend my remaining time in Glencoe, Oban, Fort William, Trossachs OR Pitlochry, Dunkeld central area or any other suggested places?

I will be driving so a loop starting from Edinburgh and back to Edinburgh is ideal. Any suggestions on which other places is worth me spending my remaining time in view my top priority is scenic views and nature?

Appreciate the experts advice :)

Cheers

Audrey

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

You could go to Harris from Skye and return from Stornoway in Lewis to Ullapool? A stop-over in Ullapool would let you explore Sutherland to the North and Torridon/Applecross to the South. Both areas are stunning.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 14:53
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Hi McTut,

Before your suggestion, i did not consider Ullapool but it does sound like a viable option.

Are there any places you suggest visiting in Ullapool? From my research, Sutherland looks like a huge region, are there any places you will suggest visiting as well?

Torridon and Applecross looks beautiful too.

If i have 3 to 4 days, how will you recommend me to spend my time between Ullapool, Torridon/Applecross and Sutherland?

Thanks!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for 11 day trip to Scotland - Scenic routes and place

Sutherland landscape is really stunning with vast, remote areas. You can drive up to Durness and visit the Smoo Cave; it's worth it for the drive alone. There are a number of interesting craft shops/cafes to stop off. If you like a bit of a walk, I'd suggest driving up to Blairmore and taking a walk to Sandwood Bay, probably the UK's best beach. It's a lovely walk over gentle moorland on a decent path, about 4 miles so an 8 mile round trip. There are numerous other walks if you're into that, but if you don't fancy walking, drive up there anyway and head to the beach at Oldshoremore - not quite as impressive as Sandwood, but beautiful nonetheless.

There are many other lovely drives, particularly in Coigach - the road to to Achultibuie for example - and Assynt. There's a really interesting geology visitor centre place on the main road north from Ullapool, but the name escapes me? Worth a stop off though. All sorts of wildlife attractions, (land and see) with a number of whale/dolphin spotting boat trips, Handa Island wildlife reserve if you're into birds. You can take the ferry over the Kyle of Durness where a minibus will pick you up on the other side to take you to Cape Wrath... more stunning scenery and an interesting jaunt. :)

Heading south, Corrieshalloch Gorge is worth a visit, Rogie Falls, Inverewe Garden, and then there are the very scenic drives around Gairloch, Torridon, Applecross and Glen Carron. There are all sorts of craft shops and galleries to wander around.

Ullapool itself is a lovely place to just chill, so long as the weather's nice, but maybe you'd be best spending a couple of days there, exploring the north and the next one or two days a bit farther south... around Glen Carron or something?

I realise this is a bit of a brain dump, but check the area out and get back to us if you want any more info.

Cheers!

Edited: 16 February 2012, 15:09