We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Finksburg, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

My sister & I will be in Scotland from ~April 4 until April 14,. 2012. I was planning on purchasing the 14 day Discover Passes when we get to Scotland, but I just noticed the Historic Scotland passes. Can someone please explain the difference? My sister & I will be seeing an equal mix of battlefields, castles, museums, parks & gardens (ie. Inverewe Gardens, the Culloden Battlefield, the Inchmahome Priory, etc). Which pass do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Historic Scotland is a government agency.

National Trust is a charity.

The passes are only valid at each organisation's sites so you will need to check the sites you want to visit and see which scheme they're members of.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Based on the sites you want to visit the the Historic Scotland Explorer pass would be best. Here are the sites

www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places.htm

http://www.nts.org.uk/Visits/

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Hi Meredith,

Here is a link to a thread I started a year ago on this subject.

tripadvisor.com/…31089095

Definately double check their websites to get the latest and greatest info.

They are both great deals, IF your trip is full of sites that you want to visit. Each covers a completely seperate list of properties. With the HS pass, if you plan to visit Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle and one other site, it's paid for itself.

Each works a little differently.

The Historic Scotland pass is valid on for instance 3 days over 7 days OR 7 days over 14 days. My memory may be a bit fuzzy now and rules might have changed so check it.

We got the GB Heritage pass, which included all your NTS sites plus several other great sites. This one was for 3 days or 7 or whatever, but they were all consecutive.

Here's your challange. Once you lay out your itenary and specific sites to visit, you'll want to figure out if they fit the plan schedule. Also, guessimate the costs. The more you plan, the more cost justifiable.

We were in Scotland for 11 days. We laid out our plan in great detail and decided to purchase both. It worked out well. We visited Edinburgh Castle first, which started the Historic Scotland pass ticking. A couple days in Edinburgh, then off to Stirling Castle, Doune and Inchmahome, all under the HS pass (I think 7 days over 14). Next day we went up to Blair Castle, under the GBHP, which started that pass ticking (I think 7 consecutive days).

Bottomline, it worked out perfectly becuase most sites we visited were covered under one pass or another. Wee saved money using both.

BTW, glad to see you are visiting Inchmahome Priory. That's a very atmospheric place, hopefully your weather is better than ours'. If the weather is good, you will not find a nicer place for a picnic!

Enjoy, Kevin

Finksburg, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Thanks to all 3 answers so far. Yes, it appears I must "do my homework," and price out where we are going. Thanks so much!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

The GB Heritage pass mentioned by Kevin is no longer available. This is a great shame as it covered nearly all the historic houses and castles you could want to visit.

Check out which properties you are wanting to visit and their entrance fees and see which you want to buy. You may want to get both.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

If you decide to go the National Trust route, you may like to consider joining the National Trust in America, which gives you visiting rights (ie free entry) for National Trust properties around the world (and throughout the US, of course!).

preservationnation.org/travel-and-sites/site…

Individual membership is valid for a year and costs $20 US.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Actually, I should clarify that - it's generally free entry for members, but there may be other fees occasionally eg parking which are payable by all but for which members get a discount. (This has been the case for me in England at some properties, not sure if there are any like this in Scotland.)

Edinburgh
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

The Historic Scotland Explorer Pass is available all year round and gives free entry to all Historic Scotland properties and any daytime events (various validity options). More info here www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/explorer

The Scottish Heritage Pass might an ideal option for you as it covers Historic Scotland and National Trust for Scotland properties. It is only available to purchase online via www.visitscotland.com and www.visitbritain.com (from 1st April) and you get a voucher to exchange at one of 4 sites for your pass.

If you need more info on either of these passes contact hs.explorer@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Hope you have a great trip to Scotland.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

I eventually found the website for the Scottish Heritage Pass which does cover both Historic Scotland and National Trust for Scotland properties.:

visitbritainshop.com/world/attractions/passe…

However it sounds as if the e ticket can ONLY be redeemed at Edinburgh, Stirling or Urquhart Castles and Glasgow cathedral, which does seem rather restrictive.

Finksburg, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nat'l Trust Touring Pass or Historic Scotland Pass??

Hello all! My sister & I joined the US "preservation nation" org which has a reciprocal agreement with Natl Trust for Scotland. thanks all for good advice.