We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Scotland

Salina, Kansas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Scotland

We are spending a weekend in Scotland in late September after a cruise. What should we do? We plan to fly in and out of Edinburgh.

Do we need a rental car? I would like to see some castles, possible Loch Ness, and some nice coastal scenery. Any ideas?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Scotland

Hi.

September is a nice time to visit: long daylight hours but fewer midges ( small biting insects).

A weekend is not long enough to see much. I think Loch Ness would be a major slog for just a weekend.

How about a trip to Fife, lovely coastal villages, St Andrews is a wonderful small town, and one of many.

A car would be easier for exploring, but trains and buses are efficient in Scotland (although less so on Sundays).

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Scotland

Ps - meant to say, St Andrews has a lovely cliff side castle. Falkland Palace would be worth a look-see too, also in Fife.

Edinburgh also has a castle, of course.

Abs :)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Scotland

If you are wanting to see a Loch, then Loch Lomond is a lot closer than Loch Ness and thought to be much nicer by many people.

As you only have a weekend there is an argument for spending it in Edinburgh. You won't need a car as public transport is so good (and parking in Edinburgh is a nightmare. As you want to see castles there is Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace (where the Queen stops when she is in Edinburgh) and also the ruins of Craigmillar Castle all within the city. Each is very different.

http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/

www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp…

…undiscoveredscotland.com/edinburgh/…

St Andrews can be reached by train and bus. It has a super ruined castle as well as a ruined abbey.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/standrews/standre…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/standrews/cathedr…

Other suggestions are getting a train to Linlithgow for the ruined Palace

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/linlithgow/…

and also Stirling for the castle and Argyll's Lodgings (a 17thC town house).

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stirling/…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stirling/…

Gotland, Sweden
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Scotland

You could easily be based in Edinburgh that weekend. There are a couple of castles nearby. Edinburgh has its own castle. Stirling is a town nearby with a castle as well. Stirling is easily reached by public transport.

If you want to combine coast with castles, North Berwick is a nice coastal town. 2 castles are nearby, Dirleton Castle and Tantallon Castle. You can reach North Berwick by train, but a car would be a good option if you want to visit the castles as well.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Scotland

Hi there from someone who lives just down the road from you. (small world) All I can do is ditto the advise from the previous posters. I LOVE FIFE! Falkland is a sweet little village and if the weather is clear, a hike to the top of east Lomond hill gives an awesome view. Being a farm girl, I am amazed at the similarity and differences between farms here and there. Anstruther is a favourite of mine also. The fish and chips really are some of the best I have ever eaten. Stirling is nice, and Edinburgh itself is an amazing city. And I'm not a city girl.

Loch Ness is nice. I like it because it is so, so different than any like we have here in Kansas, but it's a long drive up there and I believe you'd enjoy your limited time more if you save it for another trip. Loch Lomond is very beautiful and much closer.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Scotland

Grab a hire car, 90 minute drive to Loch Lomond, you could catch Glasgow on the way back.

Salina, Kansas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Scotland

Hey fellow Kansas person. Thanks for the advice. Did you used to live in the UK? I would appreciate any other suggestions for hotels, restaurants, activities for you or anyone.

Salina, Kansas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Scotland

Thanks for all the advice. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Scotland

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

This really is a nice site to get an idea about things you may like to stop and see. I use it to find B&Bs also. Not sure if you have 2 whole weekend days or just Saturday and part of Sunday, but it's really only long enough to give you a teaser.

The first day I'd do a loop around Fife. Cross the Firth of Forth and get some amazing views of that amazing bridge, even though crossing the road bridge gives me the heebie jeebies. (all long, high bridges do tho!) All of those lovely little fishing villages are fun to drive through. Like I said, the fish bar in Anstruther has won so many awards because the fish really is delicious. I like to buy a dinner and then go outside and eat it while watching the habour. St. Andrews is lovely with lots of nice shops and of course the golf thing. Not sure if you'd have time with the days getting shorter, but Dundee is cool for me. I loved the RRS Discovery, I even keep up with the museum on my facebook. And a bit farther still is Arbroath, which to this landlocked girl was again, fascinating. The cliffs there have a walking path and to look out and see so much ocean. There is a lot of history in Arbroath as well. Of course, by now you are no longer in Fife anymore. That's the thing about Scotland, it keeps pulling you in further.

Another good day would be to head the opposite direction and see Stirling. I like Stirling castle better than Edinburgh, though many disagree. There is also the Wallace Monument that gives nice views if you hoof it to the top. Loch Lomond is not far and there are several other smaller lochs, all beauty spots in their own rights. I'm partial to Loch Katrine and Loch Earn. Callendar and Aberfoyle are nice small towns to stop and stretch and plan your next move.

I've never lived there, but I did have for several years a romantic interest who lived in Fife, so I'd spend weeks there whenever I could. Though I don't miss him, I do miss the lovely drives we'd take.

10. Re: Weekend in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 18:47