We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

I know it is a bit too early but I'm now planning my trip to Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo in Summer 2013 and I would like to visit one more city during my stay in Scotland. I'm thinking about Aberdeen, Glasgow or Stirling and would like to have some advices from the fellow TA experts here on which city to go. We are interested in natural scenery if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Well I would not bother with Aberdeen.

Glasgow, Stirling, Perth or even St Andrews are all doable by day trip from Edinburgh.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 05:17
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

You won't find a lot of natural scenery in the cities. If that's your priority why not get out of the cities and into the countryside?

Either hire a car and drive north and west - plenty of info on this type of drive if you browse the forum - or take a train.

How much time do you have? If you can allow 2 or 3 days you could do one of these trips

www.rabbies.com/edinburgh_tour_departures.asp

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Tks guys for your suggestions. You see, the thing is I cannot drive thus have to rely on public transport. I plan to stay 4 days in Edinburgh, during which we are going for a day trip to the Highlands, and then spend 3 days elsewhere before heading back to London. I will check out the link you gave thegoodwitch.

This is my first time to Scotland and I want to make good use of my time to enjoy the summer sun there. Pls do throw your ideas. :-)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Go to Pitlochry on the train, lots to see and do there with nice walks,not very big but a stunning location.

if you like scenery I would avoid both Glasgow and Aberdeen, both are big cities.

PS don't bank on summer sun.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Yes please dont come to Scotland expecting sunshine. Expect rain, hail and perhaps the odd thunderstorm. If the sun shines on you then feel blessed.

You can enjoy pretty nice scenery from the top of the Wallace Monumnet in Stirling and from the castle. Easy to get to by train too.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

You could always do a big train loop (with a bit of bus or taxi in the middle) - Edinburgh to Inverness, Inverness to Kyle. Taxi to Armadale, ferry to Mallaig, train to Fort William and then on to Edinburgh.

Lots of natural scenery to see.

Ps don't give up entirely on the sunshine, it does appear sometimes. We had lots last week :) - although it's snowing now....

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Ronaldo - we seem to be disappointingly lacking in thunder storms in Scotland. I experienced lots more when I lived in Oxfordshire than I get here - you don't want to get his hopes up :).

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Thank you for all your ideas. The train loop sounds interesting. I would do some research on the places you guys suggested but may I ask how many days I should plan on doing the loop and where are the places to stay overnight?

I won't give up any hope for a bit of sunshine in Scotland but either do I holding too much. ;-)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

Stirling is scenic. Easy to get to. Stirling Castle, the Wallace monument. There are also buses from Stirling going to Doune (DOune castle, Doune Antiques just outside) and Callander (a lot of touristy places!) This could be a day trip.

The other suggestion regarding Pitlochry: the scenery north and south of there is good (Blair Atholl, Killiecrankie, Dunkeld I was thinking). A big day trip (The bus from Edinburgh-Blair Atholl takes about 3 hours; the train is quicker)

Avoid cities because they're not scenic? But you're coming to Edinburgh, which most definitely is!

fifporter's train suggestion is good: these two Northwest train lines are superb; they have an international reputation and attract lots of people. There may be buses connecting Kyle and Armadale via Broadford, not sure if they'll fit a sensible timetable. A new company is taking over the routes so no point in checking right now.

If you're late into Inverness you may need a night before catching the train to Kyle. Once there, Broadford may be nicer to stay overnight rather than Kyle, but check the train times, because you might be recommended to carry on and stay in Mallaig to ensure the right start time for the second train journey. You might have time for a bus journey on Skye itself - maybe up to Sligachan with views of the Cuillin if the weather's good.

Overall, this journey will certainly take two days, probably three.

Train tickets are best booked well in advance because you can cut costs drastically, but cheap offers only appear on the trainline website near the time. You'd be booking in May for a July trip, for example, and you need to keep checking. The disadvantage of cheap offers is they commit you to a fixed time; you can buy more expensive open tickets. Buying at the station is usually pretty expensive here.

10. Re: Aberdeen, Glasgow or other cities??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:41