We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

I am trying to decide upon a visit to Scotland this year. Am trying to piece everything together to see if it's a good idea this summer or not.

I have two kids, 13 and 11, a boy and girl. They will be spending two and a half weeks in France in late July with their dad. We thought we might meet up in London the 10th of August and I would head up North with the kids to Scotland about the 12th. I know that the London Games will have just finished and that there will be mobs of people...I thought if we just had the weekend in London, it might not be too overwhelming. But then we would head up to Edinburgh for the festival, hoping for about 8 days total of festival plus sight seeing.

My questions are these:

1. Are the Olympics going to make being in London for even a day a miserable experience? (e.g., just how bloody crowded will it be do you think, the weekend after it's finished).

2. Should I expect even heavier crowds in Scotland and at the FEstival because of the Olympics in London?

3.) How much do you think it might cost for me and my children to stay and dine and see shows and tour around up in Scotland? We like to stay in midrange places, price wise.

4.) Is 8 days enough?

5.) If your children were huge Harry Potter fans, what would you do in Scotland. I know there's the train somewhere and there's also the Elephant Cafe, not sure where either of those are though. How far out of the way are they from Edinburgh?

Would we be able to see Hogwartz Castle in northern England (I mean the Castle that stands in for Hogwartz) by train on our way up there?

6.) Do you think the kids would like the Festival and the Fringe? Is it O.K for kids that age? My kids are pretty open to the arts, they see theater at home.

I'm really just trying to decide if its all too much to do this summer. The other option is they just go to France for a longer time this summer and we do Scotland next summer. Sounds like the right thing to do in a way, but now they're both revved up about this idea of two countries in one summer vacation!

Sorry this is a super long post, I just have to get this figured out as soon as possible, so I threw everything on the table at once! I apologize for the "hither and thither" of it.

Cheers!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

6. There will be stuff for them. And lots for kids without the Festival on, in any case.

5. The cafe is in central edinburgh, near Greyfriars Bobby (a must-see).

The train is near Fort William. But there is also Platform 9.75 at Kings Cross station in London. Plus other places - do a tour.

4. No.

3. £150-£250 per day.

2. No. There are big crowds every year.

1. No. Everyone will have gone by then.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

Thank you Peterscot. You made me laugh with your answer to number 1 !!

May I ask, how big is Scotland? I mean drive time Edinburgh to Fort William or Edinburg to Isle of Skye, say. Or train time to either

Thanks again!

Crathie
Level Contributor
838 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

For a small country, Scotland can be pretty big to negotiate by car depending upon where in the country you are. Many of the roads in the highlands are based on old droving or military roads and can be "slow" to negotiate by modern standards. Too many mountains to move, so you just have to drive around them :-)

This is a very useful site to assist with driving time estimates

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

This page on the Undiscovered Scotland website will tell you more about driving in Scotland and tell you about single track roads, which you may come across if you do decide to drive

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usscotfax/travel/…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

5. This is an old but well written piece on Potter's Scotland. The film sets are gone but the locations remain.

www.historynet.com/harry-potters-scotland.htm

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

If your kids are keen Harry Potter fans then a side trip during your time in London to the film studios would be a great idea. They are now open for visitors and you can see the real film sets, props, animations etc. You do need to book in advance though as it is very popular. http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

Thank you all. I will check out the wbstudio tour. I am so looking forward to this trip!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

< Would we be able to see Hogwartz Castle in northern England (I mean the Castle that stands in for Hogwartz) by train on our way up there? >

Alnwick Castle (it's Hogwarts BTW). The nearest station is Alnmouth with a bus service into Alnwick. The castle website gives details. Note that unless you pay for an expensive train ticket you'd have to book London to Alnmouth and Alnmouth to Edinburgh as separate tickets.

But given your plans why not start in Edinburgh and make your way down to London before heading home? Hubby can change his ticket to fly to Edinburgh or book a separate flight to Edinburgh a few hours after arrival.

But most of all - firm up your plans yesterday. Edinburgh in August is EXPENSIVE for accommodation and the good cheap stuff will have been booked up by November last year.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 07:23
8. Re: Traveling with teens after the Olympics..."

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:16