We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
788 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Hello my friends.

Let's just say before I start my trip report that the final result of our visit is that all of us fell madly in love with the UK.

First, let's talk about abourt flight, everything was great ... except for one thing, don't ever use the JFK airport for a flight connection. I thought I hated the MIami airport, but, after our experience in this unefficient, bad serviced and chaotic airport I think Miami is not too bad after all. It to us almost three ours completing the migration, customs an security procedures.

Then we flew to Heathrow ..... WOOOOOWWWWW (as my daughter Andrea said when we arrived) what a HUUUUUUUGE difference, all the officers where efficient, nice and colaborative, we where ready to board our Edinburgh plane in less than twenty five minutes!!!! My best airport experience ever!!!!

Then to Edinburgh. It was showering when we arrived, nothing serious. Edinburgh airport is about the same size as San José Juan Santamaría Airport. We were out in just few minutes.

The first think that catched our attention were the taxi cabs, I think my daughter must had taken a picture of every single taxi we saw during our visit.

We stayed at the Ocean Serviced Apartments in Leith. This apartments are new and really well located, less than two blocks away from the bus stop, and five from ASDA. They have a nice living room and kitchen area, two bedrooms and two complete bathroooms ... al for less than esighty pounds per nmght ... for the entire family, I keep thinking it was a real bargain

Since we arrived late in the morning and we didn't want to lose our preciouss time, I booked a tour to the Vaults, so there we go. I was a little nervous about how to use the public transportation in the UK, but after our first experience I mus say that it´s a lot easier than what I'd tought. You public transportation systems ROCK, efficient, clean, reliable and really easy to use, both in Scotland and in England.

Now we're in the city centre at last. What a first impression!!! We where just stunned by the beaty that sorrounded us, Edinburgh is just incredible, as my wife quoted: It's like bieng inside a Fairy Tales book. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!!!!!!!!

The Vaults tour was great, it helped us understand a lot of things about the city's history and heritage. First big score.

OK, we're tired.

It wasn't easy at all going back to the apartment because we were so pleased we just didn't want to leave the place.

One funny thing, my son doesn't look like the regular latin american boy, he's taller than most of the kids his own age, even for international standards, he's white, with lots of freckles and dark blond hair .... in fact he looks just like a lot af the peaople we saw in Scotland, so now we know where he belongs to.

I'll cotinue later ... if you allow me

As you can see, contrary to what my dear friend Mike posted some days ago, my English now is getting worse than ever!!

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
788 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Hi my friends:

If any of you have some time to spare, I'll like to share with you part of our memories.

I ussually make a slide prrsentation of the family trips with some of the pictures and a little music.

LOS PHILLIPS CORRALES EN UK - PARTE 1.avi

www.youtube.com/watch…

LOS PHILLIPS CORRALES EN UK - PARTE 2.avi

www.youtube.com/watch…

LOS PHILLIPS CORRALES EN UK - PARTE 3.avi

www.youtube.com/watch…

LOS PHILLIPS CORRALES EN UK - PARTE 4.avi

www.youtube.com/watch…

We hope you'll enjoy it

Thank you

Blessings

Marco

london
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

<<My wife says that two minutes after talking to a Scot you just want to hug him and take him home!!!>>

but your wife has her very own scotsman in you, she doesn't need to kidnap another !!

so glad you're posting, Marco ... just a couple of days ago I was thinking of you and nearly posted on your old thread asking how it had gone ... so thanks very much

looking forward to more

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
788 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Hello

I’m back with another part of my report.

This day was also cold, at least for us. Remember that just five days before we were at home with 39° C, not a cloud in the sky, drinking a frozen juice in the swimming pool. Now we’re here, dressed like eskimos and freezing….but happy.

That day we visited the Royal Botanic Gardens. It is a really beautiful place. Inside some of the greenhouses we almost felt at home. The part we liked the most was the cactus garden. Here the two ladies went shooting crazy and took over five hundred photos (I’m not joking, the count for the entire trip was 4048 photos)

This day we tried to get some directions from a lovely older couple at the bus stop. They told me they lived in Glasgow, they were really nice and did their best to help us. Everything would have work out fine, except for a very small detail …. I just couldn’t understand anything they told me, they had such a strong accent and used some strange words, I’m not even sure if they were speaking in English or in some other related language…… anyway, somehow I understood just enough to keep us going.

Then we went to Holyrood. First we visited The Queens Gallery. What an excellent collection. I particularly liked Fabergè Egg and the Da Vinci drawings. It was really hard to take the kids out of this place, they kept staring at every piece for minutes.

And the palace. The feeling of walking the same rooms and stairs Queen Mary did, the places were so many Scottish Kings and Queens lived is simply overwhelming. The ruins of the church and the gardens are so peaceful. The four of us just started to walk around in silence. It was one of the most beautiful parts of the trip.

OK … back to the 21st century. We took the bus back to Princess Street.

This day was shopping day. The main goal was finding the store where I was going to buy my new set of bagpipes … Hoooooraaahhh!!

It was a beautiful afternoon walk around the Royal Mile. We bought some souvenirs to bring back home. And took the bus back to the apartment.

And the bagpipe?

The store was no longer there, it had move to Haymarket and it was already closing when I found out.

Oh no…..is Marco going to return home without his new set of bagpipes????

Don’t worry, the bagpipe adventure has a happy ending.

Haha

Blessings my friends

Marco

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

excellent review Marco! Makes a proud scotsman even prouder!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

what a lovely series of reports they have been a joy to read,looking foreard to some more.

Re the Botanic gardens,I was born not far away and in my younger days spent many many happy hours there,I still pop down there every now and then,just a wonderful peaceful haven.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
788 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Hello ... again!!

Today is a very special day, we'll be visiting Rosyth, the place where my second great-grandparents got married a century and half ago, and also Inverkeithing, birthplace of Alexander, my great- grandparent and most of his brothers and sisters, this is also the place from where they departed to Costa Rica. It’s strange but I’m feeling really nervous about this part of our adventure, after all, visiting these towns is the main reason why we’re here.

We took a taxi to take us to the car rental agency.

At home we have two cars, my wife’s is a Kia Sportage and mine is a Hyundai Accent, both of them with manual transmission, and suddenly here I am, driving a brand new automatic Mercedes 200, on an unknown country and on the “other side” of the road. I didn’t even know how to turn on the radio!!!! Just what I needed to calm down a bit!!! … hahaha

Crossing the Forth Bridge is a beautiful experience, especially because of the view you have from there.

We liked Rosyth a lot. We parked on a street in a very calmed and pretty neighborhood and took a walk around the place.

Then… Inverkeithing. Yes, my friends, it’s true, Blood is thicker than water. As soon as we entered the town I felt all my hair rising and I almost started to cry. We drove through the town in complete silence, none of us daring to speak. Even now, as I’m writing these words I can feel the same emotions. It was an emotional and “solemn” moment.

We parked and started walking around, the girls and Gabriel took a lot of pictures of the town, the church, the Mercat Cross , the houses, the buildings and even from the wedding cakes at a local bakery. Then we decided to eat something on a small café.

The lady in charge asked us where were we from and what we were doing so far from home. When she knew of our story she started to tell it to all the other costumers. From that moment we no longer felt like tourists, everybody started asking questions about our family in Costa Rica and our roots in the town.

We left the place and headed for the Old Cemetery, a very beautiful and peaceful place. There we found the grave of a lady with the surname Philps, maybe a relative, because that was our family’s original name, it was changed to Phillips due to an unknown reason when they came to Costa Rica

We drove back to Edinburgh and visited Our Dynamic Earth, a great idea because we all needed some extra fun that day. We all think it’s this is a very good attraction, fun and educational.

When we were visiting Inverkeithing I received a call from our dear friend Mike, and we could meet him later that afternoon at the city centre.

I wish I could find enough words to thank Mike for his kindness and also for spending too much of his very valuable time taking on ride through the city. We visited a lot of interesting and beautiful places and learned a lot from him.

Mike, you know you’ll always be part of this bunch. The kids just love you.

Time to go to sleep, because tomorrow we’ll be driving to Fort William.

After that day we felt right at home.

Thank you all

This was a serious day I promise that tomorrow we’ll have lots of fun!!!

Blessings

Marco

Essex
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

You seem to be doing very well on this trip Marcophilps!! Looking forward to tomorrows installment!

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Pura Vida! Sounds like you're falling in love with my country as much as I fell in love with yours. Look forward to reading your next report. :)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Excellent trip report, sounds like your having a great time. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next installment.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
788 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Costarricans in the UK .... a trip report!!

Ok, here I am again.

And today we’re going to Fort William.

I was still nervous driving on the left side of the road, but after some miles I recovered my confidence and began to feel more comfortable.

The hills were still showing patches of snow, I think they resembled waves.

Our first stop was the Highland Wildlife Park. It´s small, but very beautiful and interesting. They had some species that we’d never seen before, like the European wolf and the red panda. The kids loved it but ….

Where do they keep the haggises???? I tried to find them but soon I learned that they had none on captivity!!! What a crap!!! I want my money back!!! Hahaha.

For lunch we had baked potatoes at the restaurant, they were excelent, specially mine, because it was filled with ……….. HAAAGGIIIISSSSSS!!!!

They had a picture of a highland bull hanging on a small shack, Andrea and Pam, my wife, said it looks like Brad Pitt ….. maybe they’re right ... Bullpitt?? Pittbull???

We left the park and drove to Loch Ness and the Urquhart Castle.

One of the things I liked the most driving through Scotland is watching so many beautiful lakes and the wee bit hills and glenns ...................... oooh flooower of Scot.....sorry, I let myself go!!

I guess Nessie was on vacation today … well, maybe next time!!

When we arrived Fort William it was starting to get dark. We loved the sight of the town and the lake, it was so peaceful.

We took the ferry to the Inn at Ardgour.

The Inn is a lovely small hotel just across the Corran Ferry terminal at Ardgour. When we arrived the staff made us fell at home. The food at the restaurant was first class. This place was my wife’s favorite and she tell me that someday she want to return and spend at least a week there.

I’ll be back tomorrow

I want to thank you all for having the patience to read this report.

Blessings

Marco

Edited: 10 May 2012, 16:25