We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

Hello,

I am awfully late in planning our family trip (2 adults, 2 boys 14 and 11 and a dog) to Scotland. We leave London by car on the 2nd and need to return there on the 10th of June. Our main interest is natural beauty, but we would also like to visit a distillery. We'll keep Glasgow and Edinburgh for another visit.

First ideas are

Loch Lomond

Caledonian Canal

Skye

Marree and Garlock

Ullapol

Iverness/Loch Ness/Distillery

Is this feasible?Any suggestions or alternatives, especially in which places to stay how many nights, are very welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Ines

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

Hi. I come from Wester Ross originally, and can vouch for the Loch Maree and Gairloch areas. (Note spellings).

It is a stunning area for natural beauty, with plenty to keep visitors amused - Sealife tours, golf, beaches, hiking, tearooms etc etc etc.

You will lose 2 days travelling to and from London-Scotland, so you should think of yourselves as having 6 days to play with.

3 days in Wester Ross and 3 days elsewhere would be a reasonable start. My advice would be not to squeeze too many locations in.

Enjoy your planning!

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

No problems with your selection of Lomond and the way North to Skye. And between the two you get Glencoe, definitely worth a bit of rubbernecking.

You can dodge downtown Glasgow by sticking on the M74 to the bitter end : the M74/M8 junction south of the river, and the over the river at the Erskine Bridge.

I'd say connect Skye to Applecross (bealach nam Ba road) and Torridon, then on to Loch Maree, and don't worry too much about Ullapool. Take a short diversion to Plockton before heading to Applecross.

Back through Inverness and head for the area between Grantown on Sprey and Dufftown, or the area south of it. The Spey valley is spattered with distilleries and will be memorable (or potentially not, if someone else is driving)

You could compare Skye malt [Talisker] against the Spey ones in the interests of scientific research.

A good way back would be via Tomintoul, the Upper Dee, then Glenshee and then south to Perth.

2 days up to Skye, and 2 days back from the Inverness area leaves quite a bit of time for exploring Skye and the North West.

If you want a pitstop on the M74 I recommend Moffat: you'll love it or hate it: It's twee. But it has the Moffat Toffee Shop.

I used to do Reading to Edinburgh via the M6 in 3 and a bit two hour stints, so the route to Skye is very doable in 2 days. But tiring.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

I'd recommend the Talisker distillery tour having visited it, however as its part of the Diageo group (along with some in Speyside, cant remember which) you might want to research this, just in case their tours have too many similarities..

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

Wow,

Thanks to you all for answering so quickly. From your suggestions I came to the following route:

Day 1 London-Loch Lomond

Day 2 trip to Skye (any recommendation on the route and which place to stay best?)

Day 3 Skye

Day 4 and 5 Loch Maree/Gairloch area

Day 6 and 7 Iverness area

Day 8 trip to Perth

Day 9 Perth London

Does this make sense? Do you also have recommendations which towns are nicest for (dog-friendly) hotels.

Thanks again for your help.

Ines

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

Days 1 and 9 are going to be very long days. I'm not sure what part of London you are coming from but putting London to Loch Lomond in AA route finder it is coming up as 431 miles taking nearly 8 hours - and that is without any stops...

Perth back to London depending on route take is 430-450 miles and will take 8-9 hours (slightly longer if you take A1).

Those are very long days to be sitting in the car. Any chance of trying to shorten these days - possibly by planning for an overnight in the borders area rather than Loch Lomond and Perth?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

EESW: Indeedy.

When I said *to* Perth I really meant *via* Perth. I think days 1 and 9 would benefit from stops further south. This would not preclude visiting Loch Lomond, or distilleries on Speyside. But the balance would be better.

Inverness to London is 600 miles, and half way would be the Lake District. A 250/350 split would be ... Moffat. Go buy that Toffee while you're there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

Thanks a lot for all of your tips. We have now booked the tour the other way round, since it was not possible to get a hotel on Skye on Jubilee weekend and even hardly possible later in the week.

Apart from the first and the last night we only have three stays in Inverness, Gairloch and Skye area.

We are used to driving long distances, so we do not worry about that too much.

Again thanks!

8. Re: Suggestions for 8 day trip on short notice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:41