We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

Yamba NSW
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

Hello we are planning a 6 night trip through scotland. Leaving warwickshire driving to scotland. We will finish our trip with 2 nights in Edinburgh as we have tickets to the tattoo (accommodation booked 3,4 aug). I need suggestions on best place to stop on our first night after leaving home and after that. Definately want to spend 2 nights in Inverness, want to see Stirling castle and menzies castle in Aberfeldy as well. We are family of 5, 3 kids 8 12 13 and ok with driving distances. Any advice would be appreciated in regards to itinerary, places to stop and sites to see.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

Warwickshire to Scotland is a good enough drive and you may want to spend some time in Border country. Have a look at this website for more information

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areabord/index.ht…

You can "click" on any of the highlighted green names to get more on any of the towns you could stop in.

After that I would head north visiting Stirling castle and perhaps heading for the Aberfeldy area where you could overnight before going on to Inverness for your 2 night stay

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/aberfeldy/aberfel…

Since you already have two definite places you want to visit I would not stray far from those areas as you don't have that much time. You would then need to head back from Inverness via the A9 for your stay in Edinburgh which would at most be a 4 hour drive.

Have a look at the info I have given you and get back to me with further questions

regards

Woody x

Inverness
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

Hi

Findhorn is about 40 minutes from Inverness and for me one of the nicest places in Scotland. Kimberley Arms has great local seafood and the beach stretches 6 miles to Burghead.

They also have Findhorn Foundation which is an eco village just outside and worth a look.

Also Pitlochry is a nice wee village in a fantastic area of Perthshire. And it's on the way to Edinburgh - definitely worth a stop. At Stanley (25 minutes away) south on A9 there is a great playpark for the kids. Take a picnic

Yamba NSW
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

A few qustions for you Woody when you say Border Country for a first night stop, can you suggest a town ? If we then travel to Stirling Castle would we stay nearby of head tp Aberfeldy? Finally have been been looking at a B and B Torguish, does that sound like a reasonable location to explore Loch Ness or wd you suggest getting right into Inverness?

Many Many thanks :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

Have a look at The Days Inn Lockerbie (@Anandale Water). It is good value and a convenient place to stop. I would book direct with them.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190777-d5710…

If you want to get a bit further then look at Peebles (a bit further off track) or Lanark. Its an hour and a half to Stirling from Lockerbie, an hour from Lanark.

If the hotel is more important than the location then the Hilton at Bellshill has rooms for £48 per night per room during your dates (prepaid) but it is not a scenic location and certainly not Borders. Its next to an industrial area but rooms are nice and its further north if that's your preference. (35 mins to Stirling).

I Agree Pitlochry is a good stop off point given your desire to visit Castle Menzies. I like Kenmore which is very close (10 mins away) to the Castle if you can fit it in. Its a nice small village.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 15:33
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

If stuck ask local tourist information....

Yamba NSW
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

Thanks so much for you suggestions Lassie, will look at those right now. My rough plan atm is

1. Leave warwicksire drive to Lockerbie (1 night)

2.Lockerbie - Stirling castle (1 night) * do I need to stop over or can I just drive from Lockerbie to Inverness with a visit to Stirling castle?

3. Inverness - loch Ness and Cullonden (2 nights) 1-2 aug

4. Pitlochry/Kenmore to see Menzies Castle (1 night)

5. Edinburgh (2 nights) 4-5 aug

I realise i have one night more than i had planned but thats ok, would you suggest anything different?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

I dont think your plan is unrealistic.

Day 2 - an hour and half to Stirling Castle. I would recommend going to the Wallace Monument as well if you have the time and the old jail (just down from the Castle is fun too, esp for the kids). Its a three hour drive to Inverness so you can either stay in Pitlochry/Kenmore area or keep on going up to Inverness. Another option is to stop at Aviemore where there is quite a lot of accommodation choices.

At Carrbridge there is the Landmark Centre that may appeal to the kids.http://www.landmarkpark.co.uk/

There are a lot of outdoors activities in the Aberfeldy/Pitlochry/Kenmore area if you have time. If you get a nice day its great to sit outside at the Kenmore Hotel overlooking the water (Tay). The courtyard is family friendly too if its not such a good day.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

have a look at the CNP area..

http://visitcairngorms.com/

On your way up the road or only 33 miles south of Inverness

Woody x

9. Re: Having trouble deciding where to stay in aug - 6 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:16