We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

Gaffney, South...
10 posts
Save Topic
If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

Hello all,

I'm planning a rather ambitious trip to England/Scotland. Most of the places I've chosen to stay, with my husband, are hotels. One is a private cottage. The last leg of our trip, we're heading into Scotland.

I searched for hours. Poured over the hotels in Stirling. Honestly, I didn't like the look of any of them. They ran the gamut from too expensive, overbearing, pretentious, plain weird, or scarily cheap.

I've chosen a B&B, for two nights. It looks really stunning. The rooms, comfortable. Stirling Castle can be seen from the back garden! King's Knot is a few minutes walk down the road. It just looked to be a perfect way to end our trip.

http://www.castlecroft-uk.com/

Though, after talking with my mother, I'm a tad nervous. She led me to the understanding that the staff (which in this case, I believe, is a lovely older couple with a beautiful Scottish Deer-hound) would kick us out the door the second breakfast was over. That we're not allowed inside the house during the day, and they would lock us out, if we returned to the house late.

Is this true? I mean, my husband and I have many planned activities, but not being "allowed back" till a certain time, makes me extremely nervous. What if we came back early? In a rain drenched country, it's possible we may have to. We'd be for all intents and purposes, homeless for said blackout hours, in a foreign country! Unable to get to our things, locked in their home, in a room we paid to have available to us...

My mother enjoys downing every idea, thought, or notion I have. So, I wished to ask someone who'd actually stayed in a B&B, how things go, and what is expected of the guests, before I completely nicked the B&B from the itinerary. It looks gorgeous, and it's reasonably priced, considering what is offered. Stunning views, close to everything, home-cooked meal...

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Gaffney, South...
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

Abs & sownack,

Thanks! Will do. Just hated the idea of bothering people, when I won't be booking for a few months. Though, reading everyone's stuff here, I think I already have a better understanding. As we will defiantly be out most of the day, I think, good guests we will make. Glad I posted, even if it may seem rather obvious to most of you, just reading thru your stuff I have a 95% better idea of how they're run. In fact, just about all the, "uncomfortable concerns", have been dispatched.

I think it should be noted... I wasn't accusing this establishment! I was simply asking if this was a, "normal", practice of B&B's as a whole. As of right now, Castlecroft, is where we'll be headed.

Mentioned in this post
Castlecroft
Castlecroft
779 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,974 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

You can expect to be given a key or other access to the B&B during the day.

However it's worth checking beforehand if you may be coming back "late" (say after 10 pm) in case there's an additional key needed for The Big Door Which Gets Locked At Night.

You may want a small torch (flashlight) - if I recall correctly the footpath from Ballengeich to King's Knot, and part of Ballengeich road up to the Castle, are unlit at night.

Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Castle Tavern
The Castle Tavern
1,391 Reviews
Inverness, UK
Gaffney, South...
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

Bobelinks,

Thanks! Great tip!

Feeling better already! It's funny, b/c in addition to my mother, a few of our friends, gave us funny looks when we mentioned looking into a B&B. No, one I know has ever stayed in one. They went on, "it could be really weird...", etc, etc... Voicing a lot of rubbish, about it. I really needed to ask someone, and get a better understanding. I'm glad my intuition, was right on the money!

Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

We're Americans living in England. We're mostly B&B goers unless it's last minute in the US and the UK (France, Germany and Belgium too). I am trying to think about a restriction at any of the B&B but I can't think of any. If there is a restriction, it's mostly a memo telling us to be quiet when coming home later than 10. It's mostly a courtesy to the other guests than the owners since most owners have their own quarter a bit away from the guest rooms. All the places have always given me an outside key to go in and out whenever. Now that we have kids, we go in and out a few times during the day. But, for the most part, we'll be out after breakfast and back early evening to freshen up for dinner, a rest and then an evening outings. A couple places in France the owners worked during the day but the entrance to our room and lounge was separate and I never had a problem with access. If the owner operates the B&B full time, I often chat with them during our evening break.

Last weekend we stayed at a Premier Inn. It's like a Holiday Express. Unless we have to, that'll probably be our last. The hotel was great but it was too impersonal. We've been spoiled by rented self catering cottages and B&Bs for holidays. if I ever have a question, I'd email (if not in hurry) or call. They're always nice about answering.

Just a tip, bring a flashlight if you plan on coming home late. I was at a friend's house, in town, and left at 1am. NO street light! Again, I was IN town. On my road there is one street light and I am in the middle of the village. I think there is no street light on small roads and I am almost sure my highway exit has no light. I forgot to ask my friends why on this light issue. Probably to make the world a greener place? If you're driving, add half an hour to what Google map tells you for every 2hr drive. Between the roundabouts and traffic, driving here isn't as fast as in the US. We're becoming British... Breaking a 5 hr drive in two day, ha!

Have fun!! I haven't checked out your B&B but if it has good reviews, the chane of you being locked out is slim to none :)

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
15. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 June 2012, 17:13
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,000 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

OK so you have sorted out your B&B question. As you rightly said there's a definate lack of hotel accomodation in Stirling but lots of very nice B&B's who definately not chuck you out in the middle of the day.

Millions of visitors to the UK use B&B's which these days are practically mini hotels. This one is always recommended on here and it does look very nice. It is a steep climb up to the castle from there though. I hop you are fit.

As for your visit to Stirling, the castle will take at least half a day. Please make sure you take the guided tour which is included in the price. It really will make your trip.

The King's Knot will take you about 5 minutes to see. Recently it has been linked to the legend of King Arthur telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8724183/King-Art…

but it is better seen from the castle above.

The Smiths Museum around the corner http://www.smithartgallery.demon.co.uk/ is also interesting for an hour if it's raining.

Have a great time in my home town.

Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

>Given that there was in fact 200+ reviews for this pretty little B&B on this site,

>I thought someone might chime in that had stayed there.

This applies to anyone who has doubts, not just the OP. Why not read the reviews and then click through to one or two reviewers. Pick ones who are regulars on TA. You can then click below their name and send a message. If you make it short and sweet you might get a reply or two. That way you are contacting individuals who *have* been there rather than taking pot-luck in a general forum.

Not everyone will accept messages [it can be turned off] and not everyone will reply. You can also read this:

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/help/community#c2

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

200+ reviews for a small B&B seems an awful lot considering many large hotels don't get that many. I'm not saying they're fakes, but if they were the person you'd be getting back to for reassurance could be the B&B owners themselves! I'd make sure the reviews are not from people with only one or two posts.

Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

I have come across just ONE nasty landlady in years of travel. Based outside Ullapool, she was just weird. Loads of rules and regulations which made us and the other guests roll about when we compared notes. She was getting on a bit and this was *many* years ago so no chance of bumping into her.

Recent experiences have been a key for the door, lots of help and advice, free afternoon tea, recommendations regarding local restaurants, help with drying clothes [soggy hillwalking]. In other words most landladies go out their way to be helpful. The nasty ones would get ripped on TA.

The friendliest of all was an ex District Nurse near Torridon, in a little place that didn't then have electricity. Her family were fishermen and she did lets while they were way. Wood stoves and Tilly lamps. You don't need facilities for a good experience. Good people will do nicely.

Mentioned in this post
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Torridon
Torridon
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: If you go with a B&B, are you going to be,,,?"

> I'm not saying they're fakes

Hrrumph. Lots of long-standing reviewers on her list. Don't cast nasturtiums.

:-)