We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

I just found out that I will be in Speyside during the Dufftown Autumn Festival and would appreciate any information you can give me about it. Are distilleries open throughout the weekend? Are there dinners or special activities?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

Yes, yes and absolutely yes.

Several distilleries not normally open to the public will have tours during the festival. The Tannochbrae Gala Dinner is the one to look out for, but be on your toes as it get's filled very quickly. You can try and ask Alan to be put down for a place (or three) now if you wish (http://tannochbrae.co.uk/). It's usually on the Saturday.

If you haven't booked lodgings yet, do so now as rooms will get filled up as the festival approaches.

The festival itself is concentrated around Dufftown and is a more "local" affair than the big Spirit of Speyside Festival at springtime (both festivals started out quite equally in Dufftown). A great many regulars come to town, people who come year after year. But don't worry newcomers are always welcome and are treated with the utmost hospitality - people will be lining up to help.

For a quircky look at the festival you can read some of festival-regular Bruce Crichton's musings: dufftown.co.uk/AutumnSpeysideWhiskyFestivalR… (PS! Under the "Auchroisk Tour", the Norwegian Lady he refers to is my, then, 4yo daughter.)

The full program will be published sometime in July (normally) at: http://spiritofspeyside.com/ (some events can then be booked on that page, others can be booked at http://www.whiskyshopdufftown.co.uk/).

Also if in Dufftown during the festival, book tables at the restaurants when you know when you'll be there, as there aren't that many tables. The local Chippie (DJ's) is rather good though.

There's always something new and special. I've been to around 10 Autumn Festivals (and a handful of Spring ones), but still there is always something calling me back.

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

Thank you so much for the information. I checked the links – the events sound great. My husband and I are great whisky fans and this will be our fourth trip to Scotland. We have been to many distilleries and have several visits already planned for this trip. But since our visit to Speyside is mainly on the weekend, I anticipated that many distilleries would be closed. The festival is changing all of this. Now, more questions.

We were planning to stay at the Cragallache Hotel but am now thinking we would be better off in Dufftown? How is Tannachbrae? We would be there for 3 nights.

The dinner sounds great. Single malt tasting paired with good food is always a winner.

Which distilleries open for visiting? We have a few invitations but are always interested in tasting new and different bottlings.

Would appreciate any more suggestions you might have.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

The Tannochbrae is great. Nice sized rooms, marvelous breakfast and hosts Alan and Susie har just the picture of Scottish hospitality. Alan also has a whikybar (mainly residents only) in the back with a 100-odd bottles of whisky.

The Craighellachie is great, a short trip from Dufftown. It's most practical to stay in Dufftown for the festival, but it's just a short taxitrip or bustrip from Craighellachie - so no biggie.

The distilleries usually open to the public will be open as usual (Glenfiddich, Aberlour, Glenfarclas, Macallan, Glenlivet, Glen Moray, Strathisla, Cardhu and Benromach). Which other distilleries will do tours in addition isn't known until the program is released, but Mortlach, Dufftown, Glendullan tend t be open for tours and also Alt-a-bhainne, Auchroisk, Braeval, Linkwood, Glen Elgin, Glen Spey, Mannochmore, Longmorn, Benriach, mIltonduff, Glenburgie, KIninvie have been open for tours at previous festivals.

There's usually also a tour called "The Seven Stills of Dufftown" where you (in a minibus) visit Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Kininvie, Dufftown, Mortlach, Glendullan, Parkmore (closed, so outside visit only), Pittyvaich (dismanteled, so outside visit only) and a view over Convalmore (closed) with a dram or two at each stop.

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

We have been to the all the "usual" distilleries you listed and always stop for a visit at Glenfarclas. The other ones that you listed are of definite interest. I need to leave some flex time so we can enjoy the festival activities. Thanks for the Tannochbrae recommendation and for your detailed information - it's changing this part of our trip in a very positive way.

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

WhiskyTraveler, thank you so much for all the help. I have had quite an adventure finding out information about the festival. Unfortunately we will not be able to stay in Dufftown but will definitely be attending events there. I am now just waiting for the 2012 to be posted. Cheers!!!!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

The booking for the Master Classes / Tastings during the festival is now open for booking at whiskyshopdufftown.co.uk/blog/the-wsd-autumn…

The program for the other events and tours is to be opened for booking on Friday the 27th July at http://dufftown.co.uk/

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

Tours and events for the Autumn Festival are now available for booking:

http://www.whisky.dufftown.co.uk/events.php

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

Thanks Whisky Traveller! My husband and I are now booked for several events. Are you going?

9. Re: Dufftown Autumn Whisky Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:15