We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go or not to go in August?

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
17 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
To go or not to go in August?

Hello Forum members,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland for a week in August. I know this question was asked so many times, so sorry to question it again but are the midges a big problem in Scotland this time of the year? I read many posts about it here on TA and asked my English colleauges. Some people recommend us to go and some not. We are now doubting because we heard that August is generally the worst month for midges. Happily, nothing booked yet...This would be our itinerary: Glasgow - Inveraray - Oban-Fort William - Highlands - Aviemore - Blair Castle - Glasgow.

To go or not to go, this is the question?

Many thanks in advance for the advise!

Monika

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To go or not to go in August?

It really depends on what the weather is like. Generally midgies are worse in calm, still conditions beside trees and still water and worse in the early morning and evening rather than through the day - get to a beach or right by the breezy coast and you will usually have no bother. They are also generally worse on the west side of the country than the east. Don't cancel your trip because of the midgies - who knows - maybe you will not get bothered that much. Your holiday is much more likely to be spoiled with rain than midgies so just get booking! Scotland is a beautfiul country - midgies or no midgies

regards

Woody x

Edited: 06 June 2012, 13:56
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
17 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To go or not to go in August?

Woody, thank you so much for your kind reply, much appreciated. We are considering it still.... :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To go or not to go in August?

If you go, then consider purchasing Avons 'skin so soft' lotion to repel them, it works well for alot of people. However, I personally try and avoid Jul and August in the Highlands for a holiday, as midges are at their most irritating around this time.

Last August, stayed in Wester Ross by the beach, and whenever the sun came out so did the midges! Was infuriating and this happened during the day as well as evening.

To be honest, if you can choose another month then do so, May being a particularly good month in my opinion as tourist numbers are much lower - as is the midge count! If you MUST visit in August - just be careful on where you choose to stay.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To go or not to go in August?

Lots of people recommend either Skin so Soft or Smidge

If you look at Scotland's weather profile, August is the warmest month overall, but also fairly wet, especially in the mountains. On the other hand the Edinburgh Festival happens in August and very few people drown.

Generally the East coast is fairly midge free, and you need to be in a damp area in the West for midges to be bad. Having camped and climbed all over Scotland I've had a few days which were bad with midges, but *many more* even in August that were totally enjoyable and midge-free.

If you care to tell us what you were thinking of doing we can make some slightly less general comments.

PS some people are lucky and never get bitten.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To go or not to go in August?

I've never been that bothered by midges, but some people seem to have more problems - they can be annoying, but tbh I think the issue is sometimes exaggerated. There may arguably be better months to visit, but thousands of other tourists come here in August and seem to enjoy themselves, so if it's August or nothing then I certainly wouldn't opt for nothing!

I would only qualify this by saying I am presuming you're going to stay in B&Bs/hotels and are not planning on camping - as others have said, midges generally come out most in the early morning and evening so if you're camping you'll struggle to get away from them if they do come out, whilst obviously there's no problem if you are inside.

6. Re: To go or not to go in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:17