We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to check my itinerary please

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
I want to check my itinerary please

Hi,

I was thinking to spend 5 / 6 days in Scotland, flying to Edinburgh around the 9th october with my wife. Early 30s , very active, love opens spaces, walking/hiking

the idea is to rent a car, drive do Applecross, Inverness and back to Edinburgh

I m unsure how long this will take and I also wound like to spend at least 2night/1 full day visiting Edinburgh.

doable? thanks

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Very doable.

I agree a full day in Edinburgh is well worth doing.

Applecross area is wonderful for walking. It'll be dark by 6.30 but you've as good a chance of decent weather as any other time of year.

It's about a 7 hour drive from Edinburgh but the scenery on the way is fabulous.

I'd skip Inverness unless youhave your own reason for going and have an extra day in the north west

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Hi thegoodwitch

thanks very much..

No, I don t have any particular reason to stop/visit Inverness..

and considering I m more a "into the wild man", I ll be happy to spend 1 extra day walking Applecross.

I found this route in the web (gooe one?.. or there is better?)

1.Follow M9 STERLING, out of Edinburgh, to A85 CRIANLARICH via A84 (at J10). Follow signs to A85 CRIANLARICH via A84. [37 miles to A84; 27 miles to A85]

2.Take A85 to A82 FT. WILLIAM, in Crianlarich. [16 miles] Follow signs.

3.Continue on A82 to A87 to KYLE OF LOCHALSH, in Invergarry. [75 miles] Follow signs.

4.Take A87 to A896 to LOCH CARRON via A890; follow signs to A896 via A890. [44 miles to A890; 14 miles to A896]

5.Take A896 to the ROAD TO APPLECROSS (Bealach Na Bà). [9 miles] Turn left.

6.Follow the roadway to Applecross. [11 miles]

thanks again

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

That's the way I'd go EXCEPT I'd not take the A85 at Crianlarich. Stay on the A82. That will take you through Glencoe which is just stunning. If you can spare the time stop in one of the laybys and take a walk into the glen

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Just make sure you are not driving the last section Bealach Na Bà in the dark! It is extremely twisty and difficult to drive even in the daytime, but spectacular views.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Thank you both very much for taking the time!

IBI

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Sorry guys, forgot 1 thing.. I ve checked the map and all you said make perfect sense..

But from the 896 Tornapress to Applecross.. Once there (Applecross), I ll go back towards Edinburgh using the same way.

Or from Applecross I can go back using a differen route (south or north)

Apologise for the silly question but i can t quite figure it out. thanks

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Caio, IBI, or should it be Dia Dhuit?

Having gone all the way to Applecross you are about to miss the best bit. Continue northwards into Torridon. Not only is it a spectacular loch, it contains three of the best mountains in the Highlands. The mountains are sandstone but they look like the dolomites. From there you can head south to Kyle and then reverse the rest of your route, or East to Inverness.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

Ciao still work better! :-)

Thanks Derek G , I m taking notes!

9. Re: I want to check my itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:17