We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

Rock Island...
6 posts
Save Topic
Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

We are in the early stages of planning trip by rail through Scotland in /early October of 2013. We are thinking of buying the 22 day pass and wonder if we should purchase first class tickets.we plan to fly into Edinburg and begin our trip there. Any suggestions on iteniarary,stops,must see,inns/B&B's and any other thoughts or ideas will be most appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

It probably isn't worth buying first class tickets, as most services in Scotland are standard class only.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

You must go on the West Highland Line to Fort William and Mallaig.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

Check out the passes offered by Scotrail

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,352 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

Even the trains which do have first class are not worth it. Neither is that 22 day pass as that is for the whole of the UK and you only need Scotland. It’s also for consecutive days so to get the value you would need to travel every day. Is that your plan?

I do see that they are doing a special offer at the moment with a free upgrade to 1st on their 4 & 8 day flexi passes. At around £180 for 8 full days of travel in 1st class is quite good value. Even if there is no first class it’s pretty ok.

I would seriously consider how much you will need to use the train, where you need to go and how much it would cost you to do the trips by booking in advance or paying on the day. There are also discount passes available.

Remember also that in the end to get around successfully you might need to rent a car at some point. There is an extensive rail network in Scotland but it does not go everywhere.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

You can get a Freedom of Scotland Travelpass from Scot Rail: scotrail.co.uk/content/freedom-scotland-trav… which gives you flexibility of when and where you go.

However, I'm planning to travel Scotland by train in April 2014 (flyng in and out of Edinburgh) and have my route planned out. I've been told that if you buy the tickets in 10-12 weeks in advance, they're cheaper - so entering a date between 11 and 12 weeks from now, it comes up with:

Edinburgh - Glasgow : GBP 12.90

Glasgow - Fort William : GBP 12.80

Fort William - Mallaig : GBP 6.50

(or Glasgow - Mallaig: GBP 15.10)

Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness : GBP 12.80

Inverness - Edinburgh : GBP 10.90

Which is a total of GBP 55.90 (or GBP 51.70 if not stopping at Fort William).

So it's more economical for me to buy tickets 10 -12 weeks in advance and stick to a schedule than to get a Travelpass.

(I'm going to take the ferry from Mallaig to the Isle of Skye, pick up a car at Armadale and drop it off at Kyle of Lochalsh, before returning to Edinburgh by train via Inverness.)

All of these train trips are scenic except Edinburgh to Glasgow (especially Glasgow - Fort William - Mallaig; also Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness).

Suzanne :)

6. Re: Brit Rail trip thru Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 04:15