We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to plan our trip

Social Circle...
3 posts
Save Topic
Best way to plan our trip

We are looking at a trip to Scotland nxt yr can anyone recommend the best website to book a pkg deal, time of yr to go and the best area to stay in so we can access as much of Scotland as possible. We went to Ireland last yr and it was great but had to do a lot of driving b/c of where we stayed

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to plan our trip

Basic questions:

How long are your thinking?

Whats your budget look like?

Car rental? Public transport?

Avtivities? Museums and castles, outdoors, wildlife and hiking...?

Why a package deal? What's you thoughts on tailoing it yourself, self planning?

Anyway, just some questions... Here are some thoughts...

Fly into Edinburgh, spend 2-3 nights, then pick up a rental (or train) and head north.

Think about some sort of clockwise (or counter) loop.

August is festival season in Edinburgh, the fringe, military tattoo,... A good dtime to go or avoid Edinburgh, depending on you.

Summer has Highland Festivals every weekend somewhere. Good fun to attend if you've never been. A real Scottish event!

Long, lonng daylight in the summer, very short daylight in the winter, especially the further north you go.

West Highlands are more mountainous, eastern Highland more rolling hills.

Middges can be real pests, more so in the western marshy areas, less so in the east. Worse from may on.

OK, impossible to see it all. So try to see less of the country, but dig deeper into each area.

Hard to see a lot, from one base. Depending on how long I was vacationing, I'd try to line up several B&Bs, with 1, 2 or 3 night stays.

Anyway, that's should get you started....

Kevin from Georgia

Social Circle...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to plan our trip

Thanks for the info...I was just looking at pkgs b/c we got a great deal lst yr to Ireland and I had never been it was easy to pay for everything in one deal. We are looking @ a 10 day trip and mostly want to see castles and enjoy any kind of activities that would include history of the country. I know you never have enough time we didn't with Ireland and want to see more of it. Thanks :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,911 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to plan our trip

Try looking at a tourism sites like visitscotland.com , and contact them asking for package operators.

Most people on here are looking for help on organising their own transport - where to hire a car; where to stay; what to see; where to eat.

It sounds as if you want to walk into a travel agents and book a package. Fine. But there's not much information on here about them.

Or.... look at the recommended tour operators like Rabbies, etc.

You may have to do a little searching and googling, but I'm sure it will be worth it for the trip of a lifetime.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to plan our trip

Try companies like Shearings, Lochs and Glens tours, Globus, Highland Experience, CIE, Rabbies. All of these do group tours of Scotland of various length, destinations and price.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to plan our trip

Hi,

I read from your post that you were after a package deal for just you, rather than being part of a group all travelling together. It's group travel that most of the companies suggested above do.

I would take a look at the website seescotlanddifferently.co.uk. They suggest various itineraries that would probably tick a few boxes for you and they would book all your accommodation. It doesn't get around the driving issue, but if you want to be travelling just by yourselves then driving is the best option. You would just need to plan your itineraries carefully to minimise time in the car.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 11:58
Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to plan our trip

We just go back from an 18 day road trip of scotland. Some recommenaations.

1.if you are looking at castles purchase the Historic Scotlnd pass . Well worth the price. We visited over 18 Castles and Abbies and saved a lot of money

2. Visit the web site.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

3. Stay in B&B's . excellent value. I gave 4 reviews for ones we stayed in. Review recommendations on Trip Advisor.

4. Don't buy the Edinburgh pass especially if you have Historic Scotland pass. that covers Edinburgh Castle and a lot of museums are free.

5.If you have a car don't drive into Edinburgh. Stay outside and take the train.

6.If you want to see Skye,stay over at least one night.

7. bring umbrellas

8. rent the smallest automatic you can feel comfortable in andif you have an American Expree take out their car insurance. Only $24.95 for whole trip

9. Even if you have GPS ,buy an Atlas. you will use it

Our itinerary for 18 days

9/3 Fly into Manchester

9/4.One day Tottington/Bury England

9/5-9/6 2 nights in Kelso

9/7-9/10 4 nights Kirkliston (outside Edinburgh)

9/11-9/14 4 nighs in Spean Bridge

9/15-9/16 2 nights in Isle of skye

9/17-9/19 3 nights in Stirling

9/20 back to Manchester

pictures if you are interested

https:/…HIGHLIGHTSOFSCOTLAND

https://picasaweb.google.com/quiller7

7. Re: Best way to plan our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:18