We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided walking tours

Ontario
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Guided walking tours

My husband and I (mid 60's) are looking to do a 7 to 10 day guided walking tour of part of Scotland, with daily walks not more than 16-18 km., but not less than 8 to 10 km. We would like to do this in August. Searching online, I have found one company that seems to have a tour that would suit us. It's called Rob Roy Tours, based in Edinburgh, and I was wondering if anyone looking at this forum could give me any opinions about them. If not, is there a company you would recommend, that might have what I'm looking for?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided walking tours

I have done some guided walks in Scotland, but have not used Rob Roy, so have no opinion.

Two comments, though. For walking holidays in Scotland, the linear distance walked is not really a helpful criterion. What matters is how many feet or metres of vertical ascent (and descent, which can be just about as hard) in a day and whether scrambling is involved.

Second, pay close attention to their cancellation policy if they don't get enough clients. Twice I have been cancelled out of walking trips in Scotland due to lack of demand, once with very little notice. Scrambling to find a last minute option B with unrefundable flights and train tickets already purchased is not fun.

Having said that, walking in Scotland is great.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided walking tours

Look at what http://www.cndoscotland.com/ have to offer. Haven't used them myself, as I tend to do my own thing in the mountains.

This website http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ contains loads of advice as well as information on guides and accommodation. If you have areas in mind, you'll also find dozens of suggested routes grades from easy/short to hard/long, as well as maps. Register with them and you'll get access to detailed maps.

Depending on how much experience you have in the back woods or mountains, you could potentially do your own thing?

Ontario
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided walking tours

Thanks for the replies. Ronw, who did you go with that didn't cancel? I'll check out the suggested websites, Derek G.

4. Re: Guided walking tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:17