We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor

Hi,

I am looking into a trip to Scotland. I have never before been or really known where to look to find information.

As a first time visitor what areas would you suggest I go to. What would be best for me to see. I am not sure the time of year yet as I do not know where I would like to go.

I only have about 7 days that I will be able to go, so it will be more like 5 days visiting and 2 days traveling.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,647 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor

There is a great deal of information available on line, in forums (like this!) and in useful guidebooks. With respect to the latter, the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guides are rated, with plenty of photographs as well as text.

www.visitscotland.com is a good place to start as well. You'll need to sort out logistics of flying - presumably from SFO - to Edinburgh or Glasgow and the airline(s) with which to travel. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic both make the long trek from SFO to the UK and both (VS from next year) fly from Heathrow to Edinburgh.

Where to go and what will be best for you to see and do depends to some extent on you and your interests. Consider what is available, ask questions on the forums and consider what appeals to you, then sort out how best to use your time.

www.nationalrail.co.uk and www.citylink.co.uk are websites for rail and coach transport that will give you an idea of distance and time needed to travel should you not hire a car.

Trip planning is part of the appeal of the holiday.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor

'Scotland the Best' by Peter Irvine.

A brilliant guidebook that everyone I know uses.

You'll get it on Amazon

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor

You might run over to your local library. I did and found a good 4 or 5 or so books, guides, CDs and tapes discussing Scotland.

Something in there will surely pique your interest.

Just a couple thumbnail comments...

- I'd fly into Edinburgh and plan to spend my first 2 days there. Stay right in town, on or near the Royal Mile and WITHOUT a car!!!

-with just 5-7 days, I'd skip Glasgow, unless something theere really catches your eye. I know I'll get pushback on this comment and surely deserve it having not been to Glasgow myself. But I'd skip it.

- When done with Edinburgh, go back to the airport and rent a car. Head north into the Highlands for the remainder of ytour time.

- Where to go exactly? Well that's your homework. Suffice to say, you need not go far to see great scenery and castles and wildlife, or a distillery,... Don't make the mistake of driving all over Scotland to see every nook and cranny. Casn't be done. Personally, with 4 or 5 days in the balance, I'd probably pick two B&B's in seperate towns to base myself after Edinburgh.

Regards,

Kevin

cambs
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor

- absolutely agree, get yourself a copy of scotlanfd the best by peter irvine - it gives great advice but better still it is GREAT FUN to read

(try thebookpeople online thts where i got my copy)

- the best time of year is late may thru early july

june 21/22/23 is longest day of thte year

in northern scotalnd at that time of the year dawn is about3.30 4.00 am

and its still light at 11 pm

see you have a long long day to fit in loads of touring

- the best thing about scotland is the scenery and the quietness (ie few people around)

- and the best place to experience this is on the west coast and islands

head from glasgow via loch lomond and glencoe to fort william

then on to kyle of lochalsh plocton loch carron applecross shieldaig torridon and kinlochewe

- if time throw in a visit to some of the islands mull skye barra lewis\harris

use calmac wevsit to get ferry details

and try and come for longer than 7 days !!!!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor

You will find http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk useful, lots of ideas.

6. Re: First time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 06:17