We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Sheffield
Level Contributor
296 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Can anybody please recommend somewhere for a two night stopover in June? We will be travelling from Derbyshire to Mallaig to get the ferry across to Skye but want a two night stopover en route, say no more than a couple of hours drive from Mallaig. We've stopped at Loch Lomond previously but would like to be a bit further north this time.

Any hotel/country inn would be nice - good scenery to explore the next day or a boat trip perhaps?

Edited: 05 January 2013, 12:16
Mentioned in this post
Derbyshire
Derbyshire
England, UK
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,042 Reviews
from US$65.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
507 Reviews
from US$345.00*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
171 Reviews
from US$580.60*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
111 Reviews
from US$287.50*
US$319.40
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

You could consider this famous place: http://www.kingshousehotel.co.uk/

No shortage of 'good scenery to explore' ;-)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

I find the Kingshouse a bit basic. It has a 'hostel' feel to it , largely I think due to the large numbers staying one night while doing the West Highland Way. I agree that Glencoe is a great place to break your journey though.

My choice would be

http://www.clachaig.com/

Sheffield
Level Contributor
296 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Thanks guys! Just had a look and I think Glencoe would fit the bill perfectly:-) I'll check out the accommodation.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Bridge of Orchy.

or

Inveraray

or

Ballachulish, possibly Kinlochleven.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
554 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Ardnamruchan is fabulous. Or the Morvern peninsula. Check out Lochaline and Ardtornish.

Then you can indulge also your boat trip passion with a quick trip to Mull. Either from Kilchoan (Ardnamurchan) to Tobermory, or Lochaline to Fishnish.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,848 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

I think the goodwitch's idea is good - if staying in Glencoe, the Clachaig would be a better choice than the Kings House.

Inveraray is a nice little town, but it's more than two hours from Mallaig unless you're a maniac driver!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Agree re Glencoe - or glenfinnan house - or even Arisaig (though maybe the latter is too near)

Stayed at HuntingTower lodge on south side of Fort William a few years ago and it was lovely (handy for glencoe or northward) though see owners have changed and prices increased.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
296 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

Thanks for all your suggestions:-) We finally decided on the Glencoe Hotel in, well, Glencoe! We had stayed in the Ardnamurchan area previously, having visited Mull a couple of times, and also the area a bit nearer to Fort William, so I think this will be a good stopover.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Stopver between Glasgow and Mallaig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:18