We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

Holland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

In May we will be visiting Scotland for the third time in ten years. We're a family of two parenst and two kids (8/9) in search for peace and quiet and beautiful nature. We pretty much covered the erea: Glencoe, Fort William, Isle of Skye, Applecross and Ullapool. Including the isles Canna, Rum and Eigg.

We're looking for new places to visit. Places you won't read about in the tourist brouchures. So no cruises on Loch Ness, but ereas of outstanding natural beauty. No offence: Loch Ness is also fun, but we've already done that!

We'll be staying near Spean bridge and have a rental car. Long distances aren't a problem. Any advice is welcome!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

Do you mean for day trips to places or other places to stay for the night?

Holland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

Thanks!

I mean for day trips.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 15:28
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

Is the base fixed? Multiple bases opens your possibilities dramatically.

Part of the problem is a lot of places you seek are off the trodden path precisely because they AREN'T day trip possibilities and require more time and effort

Edited: 13 January 2013, 16:01
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

The OP says they are staying near Spean Bridge.

Seems a bit limiting in terms of location for day trips to my mind.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

"We're looking for new places to visit. Places you won't read about in the tourist brouchures"

trouble is... anywhere worth visiting from somewhere as central as Spean Bridge will be in tourist brochures/guidebooks.

Until I noticed that you were commited to Spean Brideg I was going to suggest teh Western Isles. Very beautiful and although popular, there are no crowds

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

Head for Ardnamurchan and the peninsula and do the walk from there to Sanna bay-wonderful-in my top 5 Scottish places and totally off the beaten track-Look on Google maps. Alternatively drive to Kilchoan near Ardnamurchan and enjoy the return trip to Tobermory on Mull

Drive out on the road from Fort William to Mallaig and park opposite Traigh golf course-near Arisaig-you can walk north along the unspoiled coast and golden beaches with fantasic views to Eigg, Muck and Rhum. At New Year I did this walk and had fwntastic views of a white tailed eagle

From Spean Bridge the short walk of about 3km along the river to the Commando memorial is lovely and worth the couple of hours it takes

The walk from the head of Glen Nevis to Steall falls is great though it can get busy so go early or late in the day

Spean Bridge is a great choice of place to stay and there are no end of places to go nearby-you are spoilt for choice!

Edited: 13 January 2013, 16:16
Holland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

The base is fixed.

If you'll get up early in the morning a lot of places are in reach ;-)

Last time we visited Scotland we stayed near Applecross.

That didn't stop us to visit Glen Nevis, Ullapool or the Cuillin Hills!

Often we got up at 6 am and returned at 22.00 pm

We stayed for 9 nights and drove over 1500 miles!

I didn't mind at all because just driving in Scotland is a pleasure!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

"Often we got up at 6 am and returned at 22.00 pm

We stayed for 9 nights and drove over 1500 miles!"

Not my idea of a holiday but to each their own although driving on unfamiliar roads at the end of a sixteen hour day is not recommended.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

Ardnamurchan and Mull are very long day trips from Spean Bridge, but as you say, OP, you did trips as long as that from Applecross, so you can do it again if you don't mind long days. However, be warned that once you have crossed on the Corran Ferry to Morvern, the roads there and on the Ardnamurchan peninsula are very slow, narrow and winding - more so than most of the roads you used last time to get from Applecross to Skye, Fort William and Ullapool.

One place that hasn't been mentioned yet is Knoydart. It's a short ferry ride (passengers only - no cars) from Mallaig, and is a wonderfully remote-feeling area, but with its own excellent pub where you can have a splendid lunch.

Holland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit in the Highlands/Isles off the trodden path

@ edinburghguyeh8: Thanks, I'll have a look!

@ Stevie D: Thanks for your concern, we and the other road users will be fine!

My wife and I both drive safely and take a rest regularly.

We've driven on unfamiliar roads in Scotland, Ireland, France, Austria, Italy etc.

In 15 years not a single accident or near accident.

Let's get back on topic, please?