We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Scottish Rail Journeys

Northants U.K.
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Great Scottish Rail Journeys

I am planning to do the Glasgow - Mallaig - Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness- Glasgow rail and bus trip this May. I have much planning to do, but the big question exercising my mind at the moment is which way round to do this trip ? Does it actually matter ? Any pros and cons ?

Any recommendation welcome !

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

Lucky you! I don't think it matters which way round you do it. More important, perhaps, is to time it so that your overnight(s) is/are in a nice spot.

Level Contributor
3,397 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

I wouldn't say it greatly matters. Both ways work. How many days are you planning to take?

Northants U.K.
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

I am thinking of taking 4 days to do it, but this may change depending on how the rail/bus connections work out.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

What a lovely trip idea! I don't have a lot to add, and I guess they are similar views in each direction. Such great journeys, and some stunningly different landscapes. May is a great month too. Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

You really must do the trip up to Mallaig by train, book early on line and get great discounts. ww.scotrail.co.uk

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

Er, you're a bit late Ruth - OP went about six months ago!

7. Re: Great Scottish Rail Journeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:17