We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day trip

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5 day trip

Just looking for a bit of advice on an itinerary. We only have 5 days in Scotland and then we are off to Ireland. My wife and I will be planning this trip for late September. I was thinking about using Perth as a base and wondered if that was a good place to set up. I was then thinking about hiring a car and trying to enjoy the little time we have, but not rushed. That might mean not seeing an awful lot, but enjoying what we are able to see. Do you think it is possible from Perth to take day trips to say Sterling, St. Andrews, Glencoe/fort Williams, and then take the train into Edinburgh for the last 2 days? The we will head off from Edinburgh. Like I said this is my first time there, and really do not want to rush too much. If we can't see all that what would you recomend? I would def like to see the countryside and take photos as that is my hobby. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Always appreciatd.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day trip

If you based yourselves in Perth it would be quite possible to do the things you mention, especially Stirling (note spelling) and St. Andrews. You are close enough to both to give yourselves time to have a good look round on day trips. Glencoe is also manageable (leave Fort William out)unless there is a special reason for visiting.

So you are hiring a car from Perth and leaving it at Perth - this is good as you have probably already worked out that a car is a hindrance in Edinburgh.

Your itinerary is fine - I would have a look at the Undiscovered Scotland website and research your chosen places to see what you may accomplish in the time allowed. You are right not to rush your trips and you need to factor in time for eating and drinking so I think you have done that with your not too ambitious plans.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/standrews/standre…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areastir/index.ht…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glencoe/glencoe/

You will need 2 days for Edinburgh to really enjoy it. The other locations you have chosen will certainly give you lots of opportunities for photso and scenery and you are wise realising you cannot cover it all in 5 days, so what you HAVE chosen gives a good mixture of mountains, sea, castles and countryside - Well done!

Regards

Woody x

Edited: 20 January 2013, 17:48
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day trip

Thank you so much for the response. So the plan for Scotland then seems best to do Glencoe, Stirling, St. Andrews, and Edinburg. Now to figure out exactly what to do in each town! Looking at the underground Scotland page, do you think it is best for us just to park in St. Andrews and stick to that one town, or try to do some of the driving tour they have listed on there, mainly visiting the East Neuk villages and St. Andrews before driving back to Perth for the night!

Idabel, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day trip

Wonderful question! I've found the info here very helpful in planing our trip! Many of the places you mentioned are where we are wanting to visit!

Happy travels!

Edited: 20 January 2013, 22:18
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day trip

You could do St.Andrews and the East Neuk villages in a day's drive from Perth - it just wouldn't give you so long in St.Andrews. The coastal villages are certainly pretty and we visited Pittenweem last year with friends from USA( Alden, N.Y.) and they loved it although the weather wasn't too kind! Its difficult to say how long you need for St.Andrews because if you like to wander round at a leisurely pace and take photos and relax you could easily take all day. It may be best to have the drive round the East Neuk as your plan B. and make the decision on the day depending on the weather.You will have about 10 hours full daylight at that time of year so you can certainly make an early start and do both.

The drive to Glencoe will just be about getting there and enjoying the scenery en route and at the location. I haven't been to the new visitor centre so can't comment on it but I would imagine its worth visiting.

Stirling is all about the Castle and their new visitor centre (again I haven't managed to get there yet!) and possibly a visit to Wallace Monument for the views. As you have mentioned you don't want to rush around then I think doing the locations you have highlighted is enough without pushing yourselves and you may want to stop en route, get out, take photos, have a stroll - it all eats into your day.

W x

Edited: 21 January 2013, 14:04
5. Re: 5 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:15