We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverness or Aberdeen?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Inverness or Aberdeen?

I will be in Scotland for 5 days in March and plan to explore Edinburgh and St. Andrews. I will have a car and would like to see more of Scotland, but I'm not sure what is realistic to attempt. I feel I should choose to go East or West as the loop seems like I might be spending way too much time in the car. The advice on this forum is really split down the middle between these 2 destinations! Help! This will be my one and only visit to Scotland. I plan to take a train from London then hire a car in Edinburgh. But could take the train all the way north, then drive down? One way car hire? So much to see....so little time :)

Thanks tons

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

You could if you wanted do both. Head on up from St Andrews to Dundee then up to Aberdeen for a night before heading over to Inverness for a night.

Then back down the A9 stopping at Pitlochry for a last night before heading back to Edinburgh.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

I wouldn't do either. After Edinburgh - a city, and St Andrews - a large town, I'd not be looking to spend time in urban areas.

I'd head north west to somewhere scenic. Look at Oban, Ballachulish, Glencoe, Inveraray, Kenmore, Dunkeld.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,883 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

I definitely wouldn't go for Aberdeen.....if you want a circular route perhaps head up the A9 to Inverness and then back South via Fort William etc. Or perhaps head to the Aviemore area and explore the Cairngorm/Speyside area or head to the Fort William area and explore from there.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,883 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

p.s. sorry I meant to say that when I said the Fort William area I meant a 30 mile radius which would include GW's suggestion of Glencoe and Ballahulish.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

Yup I'd agree with goanjock. West coast and scenery.

Unless the weather is truly foul, when I'd head across to Glasgow.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

Okay...fantastic. thank you very much. I feel better now that there is a good consensus to head Northwest. I won't feel pushed or rushed to even make it up to Inverness if the other towns are more scenic. Oh, how I hope the weather isn't "truly foul". Is the Northwest just undoable in bad weather?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

It's not undoable unless you get a huge dump of snow and they close the roads. Unlikely. If it's really wet and miserable though you'll be stuck in the car and won't see much scenery if the clouds are way down to sea level

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

Last March was very warm and sunny (well bits of it) so you may just be lucky. You will have to have flexible plans and be able to change your route depending on road conditions. The West coast is all about scenery and even with a dull day you won't be able to appreciate how magnificent it is, although when it looks mean and moody its quite atmospheric too.

Inverness is a lovely town with the river running through it so I wouldn't discount it entirely.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/inverne…

Could be a good base for the night until you see which way the weather is going before you head for the west coast, unless of course we have a huge high pressure over the whole country and wall to wall sunshine - then its def. the west coast all the way and in March the dreaded midgies shouldn't be about yet.

Happy motoring

Woody x

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

Yes, did not mean to suggest it would be foul in March!

Weather in spring can be excellent so hope the sun shines for you.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inverness or Aberdeen?

Yes, thank you I will hope (and pray) that the sun shines on my Scotland Adventure! I couldn't help myself....had to Google the "dreaded midgies" Very surprised to find out they are insects! Wow...dreaded indeed! There are whole websites on how to deal with the Highland Midge, described as a ferocious, blood sucking beast! Yikes! Travelers beware :)