We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Hi there,

We are a coupe traveling 5 nights in Scotland. Fly in and out of Glasgow.

We are more interested in the history - castles, monuments, etc. And would like to get a distillery or 2 in there.

Tentative itinerary (very tentative as we're stuck on what to absolutely get in!

Fly into Glasgow, then head up to Inverness (night 1)

Travel through Speyside, head over to Aberdeen area (night 2).

Down to Edinburgh (2 nights). Day trips, Rosalyn Chapel etc.

Over to Glasgow (last night).

We are not settled on transport. Seems torn on bus/rail vs rental car.

Thanks in advance for your input!

CF

National Wallace Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Commando Monument
Monuments & Statues
Scott Monument
Monuments & Statues
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Why straight to Inverness? Thats a long drive straight off the plane. You are also missing out a whole side (West) of the country.

Edited: 25 January 2013, 15:14
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

What time of day do you arrive?

Fair old trip up to Inverness but not impossible.

How about travelling to Pitlochry overnight there, couple of distilleries in the area then next day head for Grantown on Spey, lots of distillers in that part of the world. Not too far from Inverness either.

Head on over to Aberdeen and down to Edinburgh

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Miss out Aberdeen

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Why Inverness and Aberdeen? Nice enough cities, but if you're after history in a five day trip you might want to concentrate on a smaller area. In any event, a hire car would give you the freedom to really explore, but you won't want a long drive straight off the plane.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Hi, thanks for the advice! Keep it coming!

I think we will not go as far as Inverness or Aberdeen. It's coming up far too often to skip it.

And we arrive at noon, but we're really stuck on where to go right off the plane, I know we'll be kinda tired, but we are heading out to Edinburgh eventually...so, we are just trying to piece together how to see "Historical" things as much as possible on our way across the country.

Guess we need to hone in on what we want to see and then piece it together.

"( How about travelling to Pitlochry overnight there, couple of distilleries in the area then next day head for Grantown on Spey, lots of distillers in that part of the world. Not too far from Inverness either.)"

I keep hearing of this "Pitlochry"...will have to do more research tonight!

Thanks for the distillery comments, much appreciated. Sounds like there are lots of options in that area...

How much of a drive from Glasgow to Pitlochry?

Edited: 27 January 2013, 02:07
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Pitlochry is a pleasant, bustling tourist town just off the A9 and a good enough stopping off point on your way north. It is also home to Edradour distillery which would be worth a visit. Realistically in 5 days you are not going to accomplish too many miles so don't try and go too far!

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/pitlochry/pitloch…

I am guessing it would take you maybe 2 hours to get from Glasgow Airport to Pitlochry.

Some nice walks in the area too..

walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/pitlochry.sht…

You are very close to Blair Castle which is well worth a visit and could be done from Pitlochry. Lovely gardens and you must go into the Castle itself - allow at least 2 hours for the castle alone, there is loads to see

http://www.blair-castle.co.uk/

Seriously, although you may not see much of Scotland, I would base yourselves around or in Pitlochry and make the most of the area. Dunkeld is also a nice wee town

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/dunkeld/dunkeld/i…

Regards

Woody x

PS If the west coast is a must do I would leave out all the above and concentrate on a completely different itinerary - you don't have the time to see the whole country!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Edinburgh first seems a sensible choice if you want to catch up on sleep/jetlag. Just use public transport (a combination of bus/train), spend toine touring around Edinburgh mostly on foot, mayby the 42 hr hoho bus.

Pick up a car when you need it - which is when leaving Edinburgh. Many hire companies will allow a drop-off in Glasgow at the end of your trip.

I'd say Edinburgh - Stirling - Perth - Pitlochry doesn't leave time for much else.

Based on suggestions so far you need to choose one of three:

The west coast - Oban - Fort William, maybe a trip to an island

The centre - the Pitlochry stuff.

Further East(ish) - maybe Deeside and Speyside.

You could do much of your travelling by train, using a local car hire for maybe 3 days.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

Will that hoho bus use up 42 hours of their valuable time Derek?!

;-)))

W x

Derek's suggestions are good - you need to choose an area and not try and do the whole country!

Edited: 27 January 2013, 13:36
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

I agree with Derek! I travel to Scotland every year for vacation and when you get off the plane you just want to get started, but after about an hour or so, you can't keep your eyes open. Enjoy beautiful Edinburgh for the first couple of days. The "hop on hop off bus" is a great way to start off in Edinburgh. Then rent a car and go.

Have an amazing time, its a beautiful place!

10. Re: 5 night trip...advice on historical stops please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:16