We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is my route realistic ??

Grimston, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
is my route realistic ??

Have 2 weeks with option to add 3-4 more days

travelling from Norfolk to Penrith then onto Glencoe to start trip

so route is

Glencoe

Fort William

Malliag

Skye

Lewis and Harris

Skye

Gairloch

then across to Pitlochry via top of loch Ness and onto Killin and home

I'm looking for culture and views

am travelling alone with 3 dogs in my vw camper :) oh and in June

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is my route realistic ??

It looks good. June is a good time. Have a great trip!

Edited: 25 January 2013, 22:36
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is my route realistic ??

That sounds a great trip! June is good odds for weather and long days.

A fair bit of travelling but some very short distances so sounds doableLots of views - some really stunning ones.

You will have the contrast of mainland scotland and the western isles. When you say culture what do you have in mind? If it is *the arts* it might be harder to find in rural areas unless there any things on when you visit - if you mean culturally interesting areas I guess that would work!

A good area for dogs too - some excellent beaches at Arisaig and Skye. Maybe some control near sheep needed but am sure nothing that can't be managed.

Enjoy!

Grimston, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is my route realistic ??

thanks guys i'm glad you think its doable :)

culture wise i mean more historic than art .. graveyards castles ect

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is my route realistic ??

Just beware it could be very midgey at that time, I'm not sure a campervan would be great to avoid them, so plan ahead to avoid the worst spots and take precautions

Grimston, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is my route realistic ??

am thinking may move it to end of May would that be any better ??

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is my route realistic ??

Great route, great time of year and great travelling companions!

As well as midgies, be prepared for ticks on your collies. If you don't already, I'd suggest using a long-acting tick prevention drop like Spot On. They with for up to a couple of months. I grew up with a border collie in Gairloch, and would definitely recommend a tick medication.

If you want any advice for good dog walks around Gairloch, just ask!

Abs :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is my route realistic ??

Late May could be a bit less midgy than June, but to be honest it's more dependent on the weather at the time, and you can never predict that, of course. Don't worry too much about midges - just pack some midge-repellent and be prepared to duck inside your van if they ever become a nuisance. Have a lovely trip.

Grimston, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is my route realistic ??

thanks have quite a few ticks around here ..lots of deer

but will def consider the Spot on cheers :)

I will be walking the dogs but not going to do too many big hill climbs as too time consuming and want to soak up the culture.One of the walks I fancy is around Flowdale glen and around Beinn Eighe any good ???

Has anyone done the quirang on Skye how hard is it and is the path reasonable to find ?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is my route realistic ??

"Has anyone done the quirang on Skye how hard is it and is the path reasonable to find ?"

If the weather's good just follow the crowds. On a nice day it can be hard to find a space to park your car.

It's a reasonably easy walk. If yougo west on the road from Staffin to Uig you'll pass a graveyard on your left. Further on there's a parking area on your left. Park at either of these, cross the road and you're on your way

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is my route realistic ??

Hi again!

Flowerdale? Excellent walks. You can walk through the forest or follow the valley up to the waterfall. Some areas as you walk up the valley are restricted to dog on leads, because it winds past the pony trekking centre.

My border collie walks through the flowerdale forest (as part of a big loop from the harbour to the beach) every day - you may see him!

Abs :)