We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-9 Days In Scotland

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
7-9 Days In Scotland

Hi,

Just wanted some advice as to whether have 7-9 nights in Scotland and maybe heading up to the Orkney Islands is too much to do. We are hiring a car in Edinburgh 2-3 nights and then possibly heading to Perth and up to Inverness and maybe toward the Orkney Islands.

We then were going to head down through Loch Lomond and finishing up at the ferry crossing to Ireland at Stranraer.

I'm not sure if heading that far north is too much in the time frame we have or would we be better to maybe head up the east coast around the top and then down the west coast?

1. Is it worthwhile heading up the east coast and around the top

2. Is the time frame too short to fit in the Orkney Islands

Appreciate any available advice

Thanks heaps

Sue

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-9 Days In Scotland

Are you intending taking the hire car to Ireland? are you sure this is ok with your hire company?

Personally, I would go no further north than Inverness, then back down the Great Glen, if you want to see some islands, go for Skye or Mull.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-9 Days In Scotland

It is a bit short

Firstly you don't need a car in Edinburgh.

Why not fly from Edinburgh to Orkney. 2-3 days seeing Edinburgh then 3-4 days in the Orkney Islands with a hire car.

If that doesn't suit then I'd skip Orkney and hire a car on leaving Edinburgh and head out for 3 or 4 days

Is there a particular reason to pick Perth and Inverness? Those wouldn't be my choice but if you decide not to go to Orkney then you could have a couple of days in each

3. Re: 7-9 Days In Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:17