We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

We will be flying from London to Scotland on either a Saturday aftenoon or a Sunday morning at the end of June, and will fly back to LHR Friday evening (july 5) for a Saturday morning return flight to the US.

Plan to spend a couple of days or so in Edinburgh then up through Sterling to Oban, Glencoe, etc.

My question is would it be better to start in Edinburgh on a Sunday/Monday or save the city to end the trip on Thursday/Friday? I've read some things are closed on Sundays (July may be different) and would like fun evening options, even a pub with music that allows accompanied teens.

Thanks!

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,231 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

Unlikely that anything would be closed at that time of year but I could be wrong. For sure some restaurants ARE closed on a Sunday evening so if that was the case you would just go somewhere else. Edinburgh is HEAVING with places to eat and you will be spoiled for choice. Have a look at this place for a live jamming session

http://www.royal-oak-folk.com/

Their folk club operates on a Sunday night! Not sure about rules for teenagers in pubs(its been a looooong time!) but I am sure someone will jump in here and tell you what the law is.

Please would you get the right spelling for STIRLING - its driving me crazy!

Woody x

Edited: 26 January 2013, 22:31
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,231 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

Sorry for the double post but I would say on balance it tends to be a MONDAY night that places close, not Sunday, as its the weekend and we are a lot of bare faced heathens in these parts!!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

Thanks for the input woody!

And I will work on my typing of Stirling :).

You and others have been a great help thinking through travel planning.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

Both of my teen boys are guitar players, so a place like Royal Oak looks great!

5. Re: day of week suggestions for Edinburgh / Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:17