We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary feasible??

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary feasible??

we will (well, plan to) leave edinburgh early on day one and drive to Inverness then down to Loch Ness. Down to Ft William area (I really want to visit the grave of Rob Roy). I suspect we will spend a nite between Inverness and Ft william. On day 3, I would like to go to the Isle of Sky and see the fairy pools. On day 4, I would like to see Melrose Abbey and end up at Borthwick Castle for the night.

Is that doable? We want primarily drive thru the country---stopping occasionally at whatever takes our fancy...our musts are the Highlands, of course...Loch Ness (just to say we did it) Balquhidder, Isle of Skye and Melrose Abbey.

any input?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary feasible??

Hi! Days 1-3 look great. Day 4 is a loooonnnnngggg drive however, 6-7 hours of driving without stops.

It is through a lot of stunning countryside however - you can see Eilean Donan, Glencoe, Loch Lomond, - all in one day!

I imagine if you're staying at Borthwick Castle, it would be nice to arrive mid-afternoon, to make the most of the luxury night away. If you start the morning in Skye, you may find yourself rushing through prime stopping points in order to reach Melrose and Borthwick Castle.

Just a thought...

Abs :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary feasible??

You could go from Inverness to Skye then onto Ft William from there. (After spending a night on Skye)

You can drive down the A82 for a bit if you "must" see Loch Ness then loop back after Drumnadrochit and head for Skye

Head through Ft William, not much to see, and onto Glencoe and beyond. Finding somewhere to stop around the Glasgow area before you do the borders and castle on the last day.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary feasible??

Last time I was at Rob Roy's grave it was at Balquiddar, not Fort William. You could go that way on day 4 but it's a long drive anyway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary feasible??

lol, goodwitch, i'm sure it IS still in Balquiddar...i'm not much good with geography in the US...can you imagine how i am with the rest of the world???

thank you ,everyone. I can see i will have to tweak a bit. Loch Ness can certainly be a quick drive by. Perhaps we can run down to Melrose after the night at Borthwick. We have a 2 pm flight to Paris, tho...

thank goodness i have a bit of time to figure it out. :)

5. Re: itinerary feasible??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 05:17