We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours in Scotland

New York
6 posts
Save Topic
Tours in Scotland

Hello!

I am most likely going to travel by myself through Scotland - I have about two weeks off. Is that to much time? Is there any tour companies people recommend?

Is it safe for a woman of color to travel alone?

Thanks in advance

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours in Scotland

Should be able to have a very pleasant two week holiday in Scotland. I would suggest one week based in Edinburgh or Glasgow, which will cover not just the appropriate city but the Central Belt up to about Loch Lomond on day tours, then another week in either the Highlands or West Coast, again a good base for day trips.

<< Is it safe for a woman of color to travel alone? >>

Yes, but you won't pass as local in many places - rural Scotland isn't very ethnically diverse. However, once you open your mouth and people realise you aren't English you'll probably be alright.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours in Scotland

Is it safe for a woman of color to travel alone?

I can't imagine that you would encounter any problems, especially in Edinburgh or Glasgow which although not as ethnically diverse as say, London or Cardiff, you won't feel like you are much different from the crowd so to speak.

Much of Scotland is rural and mainly populated by us pale and pasty types! I like to think that we are a welcoming bunch though! The whole English v Scottish rivalry is mainly of a jovial nature, and though it occasionally gets a bit tiresome (when accompanied by too many jars of ale), its generally undertaking in a spirit thats more to do with 'friendly competition'.

A tour is probably a very good idea for part of your journey, or some kind of 'participation holiday' where you can meet other people in smaller groups. Another consideration may be to go the hostelling route where you are bound to meet up with other like minded intrepid travellers and perhaps make some new acquaintances to boot.

You don't say what age group you are in (not compulsory!) or what things may interest you in particular. A bit more information would help us to point you in the right direction.

I recently read about one female lone traveller who came for a couple of weeks and within days met her future husband (on skye I think) and didn't get any further! I think the couple now run an outdoor course for holiday makers on Orkney.

Whatever route you choose - have a good holiday!

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours in Scotland

You could consider joining a tour. I recommend Haggis Adventures www.haggisadventures.com

The advantage is that they are value for money and you meet other singles, couples and groups. You can also go from 1 day to 8 days, they are aimed towards backpackers but if you don't fancy staying in a hostel they will book B&B accommodation for you.

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours in Scotland

Thanks for the great advice

I enjoy hiking and walking and taking in local scenary and sights

It would be my first time traveling by myself so I am a little nervous and thought joining a tour would be nice - but at the same time would like some wiggle room to do my own thing,

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours in Scotland

Wow - that phrase 'wiggle room' made me smile - I think I know exactly what you mean. You don't want to get tied down too long, so you can go with the flow and see what happens.

I don't know where to start with advice, as there's so much of Scotland that is ideal for the hiker, and so much heritage and history thats worth exploring. The highlands would be the obvious place to start and though the midges can be a bit annoying at dusk and dawn during July and August, the scenery is just mindblowing, especially around Cairngorms, Fort William/Ben and Glen Nevis, Glencoe, Loch Ness etc.

If you like castles then they are everywhere from Edinburgh in the East to Culzean in the South West and a few hundred in between of varying sizes.

I guess I should just stick to advising on the bit that I know best which is Ayrshire, the county just south of Glasgow on the West Coast and overlooking the Island of Arran.

Plenty of good walking on Arran with Goatfell Mountain just along fron Brodick Castle (National Trust).

Robert Burns birthplace in Alloway, Ayr (Scotland's National Bard - wrote much of Auld Lang Syne)Burn's Heritage Park - thats more an interesting afternoon stroll rather than a hike, between delightful sights and tearooms!

Brig O'Doon - picturesque spot and great photo opportunity!

Crossraguel Abbey, Dunure Castle, Dundonald Castle - ruins

but interesting nonetheless

The biggie down in Ayrshire is Culzean Castle (pronounced cullayn). The whole estate is absolutely massive by Scottish Standards and deserves a whole day. It sits atop a cliff looking out to sea and over to Arran, and somedays you can spot Northern Ireland. The caves in the cliff below are have an interesting history as does the whole place. It also has access paths to two beaches, its own gas house, ice house, swan pond, deer park, orangery, Woodlands, tropical gardens and much more.

During the summer there are events held most weekends - for instance last May at the 'Burns and a'Tha' Festival they staged an open air concert in the fountain garden. Performers included the likes of Lou Reed who was amazing, along with more traditional Scottish performers like Eddie Reader and Phil Cunningham. The previous year Pattie Smith came along.

I'm rambling on a bit - sorry. I'm sure someone else will come along with suggestions (I also love Edinburgh and parts of Glasgow - architecture/shops/restaurants). OK I'm finished for now!

Just guessing, but don't suppose your interested in golf so I won't bore you with all that!

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours in Scotland

Look into the hop on/hop off bus tour with MacBackpackers. I toured with them last summer and had a blast!! The hostels were clean and orderly and the tour guides were great! The hop on/hop off gives you the combo of a guide who knows what they are talking about and good places to stop and the "wiggle room" if you want to stay in one place for a couple of days.

7. Re: Tours in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 08:21