We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overall travel and lodging question....

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
279 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Overall travel and lodging question....

Two weeks planned this summer, beginning in Edinburgh, ending in Edinburgh with a clockwise loop through Glasgow then up and around. We will have our lodging booked in Edi and Gla, but are wondering about availability on the fly through other areas. Should we book ahead and stick to an ironclad itinerary, or is there generally enough availability in the local towns to catch places on a whim for a night. Thanks for any and all advice in advance!

beanpods

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overall travel and lodging question....

Too vague. What do you mean by summer?. If May, June or September you might get away with this. Trickier in July and August.

Who is 'we'?

2 of you - possible. Family of 6 - no chance

Where are you heading? You mention towns, so you could be lucky and find somewhere to sleep. If you're heading to more rural areas it's harder. If you turn up in a small town or village when there's a wedding or other event, every room for miles could be booked.

Crathie
Level Contributor
801 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overall travel and lodging question....

As thegoodwitch has said, you have not specified how many are in your group and exactly when you plan to travel. Both could have an impact on the amount of accommodation available to you.

If I were travelling as part of a group of four or more I would definitely book ahead no matter when I travelled. If I were travelling as one half of a couple I would certainly book ahead in July and August, if only to save time and disappointment.

Have a look at this website when planning an itinerary to see the accommodation providers registered with Visit Scotland and this will give you an idea of what to expect where a bed for the night is concerned.

http://www.visitscotland.com/

Back in the day when I was involved in the hospitality industry in Scotland, B&B's offered accommodation for up to six people and in no more than three rooms. Guest Houses were larger with between five and seven rooms but each establishment would be different and so, some might include a room for four to allow a family to stay together, others might only offer standard double or twin rooms. Hotels are usually larger, but not always and some might only have seven letting rooms and therefore be comparable to a guest house in size but with more facilities available to guests.

Not all accommodation providers join Visit Scotland and a few Google searches will be necessary for you to see what else is out there. A lot of networking goes on between accommodation providers so if you are told one place is full for the night/s you want, ask if they can recommend somewhere else.

In addition it can often take much longer to drive around Scotland than you might think and the AA Routeplanner with give you an idea of drive times

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

You will obviously need to factor in comfort stops and allow extra time for photograph opportunities. Scotland is not to be rushed. Better to do part of it well and enjoy the scenery and culture than tear around and obtain no benefit. Two weeks is not a long time.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overall travel and lodging question....

A compromise. Book ahead for the first few days, and definitely for Edinburgh, because if its Festivals and lots of tourist footfall..

Use local tourist offices to find properties. All B&Bs and hotels have to be registered, so tourist offices have complete lists and will know places that don't appear on websites. Best to get one office to contact the next, each morning you move on, rather than turning up at your destination near office closing time hoping something will turn up.

No doubt something WILL turn up if you do chance it, but all the best places will be gone.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overall travel and lodging question....

Tourist office accommodation lists should be equivalent to what's on visit scotland. However I'm dubious about the website's completeness, and the people in tourist offices often know the owners.

5. Re: Overall travel and lodging question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 07:15