We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

Tielt, Belgium
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

Dear fellow tripadvisors,

This june me and my girlfriend are going to Scotland for the first time. We will be going there for 10 days / 9 nights and would like some help with creating a decent, doable and enjoyable intinerary.

We will also be renting a car.

This is the information / plan we have so far.

16/06/2013 - Arrive at EDI airport (from BRU) at 15.45.

- rest of the day in EDI.

17/6/2013 - We will probably go to Grantown-on-Spey or possible to Aberdeen. I've chosen Grantown-on-Spey because i'm a huge fan of Macallan and want to visit the distillery. However given the time we have, we might be able to drive to Aberdeen first, and then continue through Grantown-on-Spey.

18/6/2013 - we will most likely go to inverness .

VOID

21/6/2013 & 22/6/2013 we will be staying in the Torridon in Loch Lomond for a special package.

In that region we will thus be able to freely drive around and look around.

VOID

In this period in between we would like to visit Glasgow (my gf likes art, and we're told Glasgow is the place to go then). However I can imagine Edinburg will satisfy those artsy needs aswell so I don't really know if doing both city's in this trip is worth the time.

25/6/2013 - Departure from EDI at 16.15 towards BRU

As you can see, I still have a few voids in there.

The rough plan is to do the following in those voids:

1) Climb / hike Ben Nevis (as a part of my 3 - peak challenge spread over a few years :) ).

2) Ride the jacobite - my girlfriend is a HP fan!

3) Visit Rosslyn chapel

Other then that we would like do some moderate hard hikes and visit a castle, priory, church here or there.

Any tips are welcome on how to fill in the void.

With regards,

Thomas

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

Have a look at this map and website. I really wouldn't bother with the CITY of Aberdeen although the county is very picturesque

http://www.greaterspeyside.com/

As you can see you are surrounded by distilleries and castles in the area around Grantown - good choice!

This website is also invaluable when planning walks

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Woody x

2. Re: 9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 16:46
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

As woodybark says, Aberdeen is nice enough but it's not really a major tourist centre. However, some parts of Aberdeenshire like the Banchory area are very nice. I would personally say the same for Inverness, so maybe just go there for one night and head to the Fort William area for Ben Nevis and the Jacobite. Overall your intinerary is busy but realistic, it can take quite a while to travel shorts distances in the Highlands so it's a good idea not to try to cram in too much.

Wrt to Glasgow and Edinburgh, the two cities are very different, so it wouldn't be too much of the same thing to visit both. I would say Glasgow has a more contemporary art scene and a focus on more contemporary design and architecture. Obviously it is well known for Charles Rennie Mackintosh and there are examples of his architecture and design all over the city - the art school, house for an art lover, hill house, Hunterian museum etc. Edinburgh has a few national galleries which have all the old masters etc, whilst Glasgow has the Burrell collection, Kelvingrove etc, so I guess it depends on your gf's preferences. Btw if your gf likes HP, she may like Glasgow University - I'm personally not into HP, but many of my friends who've come to visit say it reminds them of Hogwarts!

If you want to go to Rosslyn you could leave early from Glasgow on your last day and have time to drive there and visit it in the morning before you fly home. Glasgow to Roslin would be about 1 1/4 hours drive and then the chapel to EDI would be about 20-30mins.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

Edinburgh deserves more than one day. But I would say that, wouldn't I? Rosslyn castle accessible by #15 bus - car not needed until you leave Edinburgh so consider picking one up at the airport (shuttle bus from Waverley) because it's on the right side of town (no I mean the left, the west, because you can head northwards to Fife directly)

Aberdeen itself no great tourist destination but Stonehaven S of it is worthwhile (harbour plus Dunnotar castle) then head crosscountry to Banchory and Deeside. Lots of towns starting with B as you travel west. You can then escape northwards to sample your Spey malts. Grantown or Craigellachie the obvious dstination, but there are lots and lots of malts to send you astray.

I mentioned Fife. Consider Falkland Palace and the East Neuk of Fife as worthwhile distractions rather than motoring quickly north.

Skye is a gem. ALso consider a more roundabout way of getting there, via Ullapool then down the west coast via Gairloch, Torridon, Applecross, Plockton. The very best of Scottish mountains.

The only dilemma is the jacobite. The logical way of leaving Skye would be via Mallaig, and the train runs to Fort Willaim. But you have a car ... it too needs to get to Fort William. You can't simply leave it in Skye and expect the rental people to pick it up. They won't do it. You could be hard-hearted and pack the girlfriend on the train and drive to Fort WIlliam :-) Will you live to tell the tale?

Consider http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ for places you may have missed that deserve a visit. [Oban. Kilmartin. cough]

I see you have some fixed dates at Loch Lomond so maybe this whole route works better clockwise rather than anticlockwise. Plot it on a map and juggle the numbers.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 23:36
5. Re: 9 day Itinerary - Helpwanted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 06:17